Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter Quiz

    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      Ding ding ding!  You (and BD) got it!

      I haven't figured out what you guys win yet.

      Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 12:21 AM
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter Quiz

      Boy I am bad at this.  Talk about showing my ignorance in front of everyone.  :-)

      O.K. am I getting close now????? - The restoration of King Charles II back into the throne?

      Beside these, another heinous act was framed by the same parliament, for observing every 29th of May as an anniversary thanksgiving, in commemoration of the unhappy restoration of this ruiner of religion and reformation.

      *************************************

      Ginny

    • thebishopsdoom
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2004
        <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
        > Ding ding ding! You (and BD) got it!
        >
        > I haven't figured out what you guys win yet.
        Well, unless I'm mistaken, this morning I apparently won what appears
        to be what they call a "gum boil" of some sort over one of my upper
        eye teeth. Some prize. It is going down, but chances are, it's one of
        those "you really need to see a dentist for that" type situations, in
        case it's an infection of some sort.
        "Dentist." That's french for "operator of a torture chamber" I think.
        Not sure what it is, but usually the dentist will give me something
        like a tissue to hold and fuss with, and before the dentist even gets
        my mouth open it's often already torn to shreds in my nervous hands.
        And that's happened when I was in for nothing but a cleaning. I don't
        know what it is, but I've never really got over the thing between me
        and dentists. Now I know, the dentist isn't really sadistic and is
        actually a friend to my health. If you're envisioning the guy you
        might see walking out with an assistant holding their one hand while
        they are holding a smiley balloon in the other hand with tears
        running down their face and people staring and laughing at them,
        that's not quite me, but not necessarily always that far off. I don't
        know what it is, but I recall no pleasant trip to the dentist - even
        when just for a cleaning and when I got a clean bill of health. So
        any trip to a dentist does not make me feel very happy. In addition,
        because I accidentally mistook the deadline for health insurance
        applications last year at work, I have no insurance, so if it should
        end up being anything big like a root canal or some other delicious
        torture, it's all out of pocket. I can't sign up again until sometime
        I think in August. Lastly, if anything should happen where I lose the
        tooth (we're talking dentist here, of course I'm going to envision
        worse case scenarios), it ain't one of those back ones where it
        wouldn't be too conspicuous if it were missing.
        The last dentist I had was pretty nice and very reasonably priced,
        and I had some of my more tolerable moments there, but he retired his
        practice. So I guess I should probably look for somewhere to go
        before work today, at least to see if they can figure out what's up.
        (Nervous sigh...)
        -doom(ed)
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2004
          So you're saying you'll be celebrating Restoration Day by going to
          the dentist to be subjected to torture. I think that's somehow
          strangely appropriate.

          Here's how some Covenanters celebrated the day, but publishing a
          testimony at Rutherglen, May 29th 1679:

          ---
          AS the Lord hath been pleased to keep & preserve His Interest in this
          Land, by the Testimonies of some faithful witnesses from the
          beginning: So in our day, some have not been wanting, who through
          greatest hazards have added their Testimonies to these who have gone
          before them, by suffering death, banishment, torturings,
          forfaultries, Imprisonments, & what not, from a perfidious & cruel
          Adversary to the Church & Kingdome of our Lord Jesus Christ in the
          Land. Therefore, we owning the same Interest of Christ, according to
          the word of the Lord, & the National & solemn League & Covenant,
          Desire to add our Testimony to the Testimonies of the worthies that
          have gone before us (though we be unworthy, yet hoping as true
          members of the Church of Christ in Scotland) And that against all
          things done prejudicial to this Interest, from the beginning of the
          work of Reformation, Especially from the year 1648 to 1660. And more
          Particularly from the said year 1660. & downwards, against the Acts
          following: As, Against the Act of Supremacy; The Declaration, whereby
          our Covenants were condemned; The Act for eversion of the established
          Government of the Church & for establishing of Abjured Prelacy; The
          Act Rescissory of all Acts of Parliaments & Assemblies, for
          establishing the Government of the Church according to the word; The
          Act of Glasgow, putting the same in execution, whereby at one time
          were violently cast out above three hundred Ministers, without any
          Legal Procedure; Likewise The Act for appointing an holy Anniversary
          day, to be kept every 29th of May, for giving thanks for the setting
          up an usurped power, destroying the Interest of Christ in the Land:
          whereby the Creature is set up to be worshipped in the room of our
          great Redeemer, And a power is assumed which is proper to the Lord
          only; For the appointing of ordinances in his Church, as particularly
          the Government thereof & the keeping of holy days, belongeth to no
          Prince, Prelate, nor person on earth, but only to our Lord Redeemer.
          And further, we give our Testimony against all sinful & unlawful
          Acts, emitted & executed, published & prosecuted by them, against our
          Covenanted Reformation. And for Confirmation of this our Testimony,
          We do here this day, being the 29 of May 1679. publickly & most
          justly burn the foresaid Acts, at this Cross of Rutherglen, being the
          Chief Burgh of the Nether ward of Clidsdale; As they perfidiously &
          blasphemously have burnt our holy Covenants, through several Cities
          of these Covenanted Kingdoms. We hope none will take exceptions at
          our not subscribing this our Testimony, being so solemnly given: for
          we are ready to do it if necessary, And to enlarge it with all our
          faithful suffering brethren in the Land.

          ---