Re: Covenanter quiz

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being
      imposed, the anniversary of what?

      > This is what I seek! Search! Dig!
      As I recall, it was the anniversary of the restoration of the
      monarchy to the British Isles.
      With the passage of the Act of Supremacy and Act Rescissory, it was
      celebrated by the public tearing of the covenant in Edinburgh and
      burning of it in Linlithgow on the anniversary in 1662, along with
      the burning of Lex Rex, Causes of the Lord's Wrath, acts of
      Parliament, and acts of general assemblies from the covenanting era.
      In England, it came to be called Oak Apple Day, for the oak in which
      Charles II hid and saved his life at the battle of Worcester in Sept.
      1651 and was able to flee to the continent from whence he returned to
      the throne the next decade. As traditions go, persons would wear oak
      twigs that day to show loyalty to the monarchy. It became common for
      certain schoolboys if they saw you didn't wear anything to give
      tribute to the king, to answer your "disloyalty" by pinching the
      offender on the buttocks, of which and the day as a result also
      became known as Pinch-Bum day.
      -thebishopsdoom
    • CrazyCalvinist
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        Oh hey, BD,  this is interesting.  I live not far from worcester,  and within walking distance,  or used to be,  its probably about 20 mins walk away,    we have a tree down by our local  train station,  that is connected with this,  that Charles hid in it during that time.

        I make no comment regarding Charles or any later monarchs. ;-)   But such persecuting times!  ;-)

        ~Deejay

        > Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being
        imposed, the anniversary of what?

        > This is what I seek!  Search!  Dig!
        As I recall, it was the anniversary of the restoration of the
        monarchy to the British Isles.
        With the passage of the Act of Supremacy and Act Rescissory, it was
        celebrated by the public tearing of the covenant in Edinburgh and
        burning of it in Linlithgow on the anniversary in 1662, along with
        the burning of Lex Rex, Causes of the Lord's Wrath, acts of
        Parliament, and acts of general assemblies from the covenanting era.
        In England, it came to be called Oak Apple Day, for the oak in which
        Charles II hid and saved his life at the battle of Worcester in Sept.
        1651 and was able to flee to the continent from whence he returned to
        the throne the next decade. As traditions go, persons would wear oak
        twigs that day to show loyalty to the monarchy. It became common for
        certain schoolboys if they saw you didn't wear anything to give
        tribute to the king, to answer your "disloyalty" by pinching the
        offender on the buttocks, of which and the day as a result also
        became known as Pinch-Bum day.
        -thebishopsdoom

        Delivery confirmed by confimax.com