Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter quiz

    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being imposed, the anniversary of what?

      This is what I seek!  Search!  Dig!

      :)

      Being quiz-master is fun.

      Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 10:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter quiz

      > Hint:  Dig out your Act, Delcaration, and Testimony.

      O.K.  How is this?  You are truly making me dig into the books tonight.  I
      really want to win this contest/quiz so I am going to keep trying until I
      get it right.  :-)

      Ginny

      "They also declared, that the national covenant, as sworn in the year 1638,
      and the solemn league and covenant, were, and are in themselves unlawful
      oaths, and that they were imposed upon, and taken by the subjects of this
      kingdom, contrary to the fundamental laws and liberties thereof. And to
      complete all, they repealed all acts, ecclesiastical and civil approving the
      covenants, particularly the acts of the venerable assembly at Glasgow, 1638,
      declaring it an unlawful and seditious meeting. And thereafter, by a wicked
      act of the council of Glasgow, more than three hundred minister were
      illegaly thrust from their charges, for their nonconformity, in
      discountenancing a diocesan meeting, or synod, appointed by the archbishop
      of Glasgow, and not observing the anniversary thanksgiving, May 29th,
      enjoined by the parliament. The rest were violently ejected from the lawful
      exercise of their ministry in their several parishes, and were afterwards
      commanded by act of parliament to remove themselves and their families
      twenty miles distant from their respective flocks, and not to reside within
      six miles of any of their (so-called) cathedrals, or three miles of a burgh.
      By these means, many of those poor persecuted ministers, with their
      families, were brought into great hardships and wants, being so far removed
      from their beloved and affectionate flocks, that they were deprived .of that
      help from them, that doubtless they would cheerfully have ministered, for
      relieving them in their necessities and straits. All this was done at the
      instigation of the prelates, who could not endure to have a godly
      presbyterian minister near them, and were resolved to make them as miserable
      as possible.

    • thebishopsdoom
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
        > Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being
        imposed, the anniversary of what?

        > This is what I seek! Search! Dig!
        As I recall, it was the anniversary of the restoration of the
        monarchy to the British Isles.
        With the passage of the Act of Supremacy and Act Rescissory, it was
        celebrated by the public tearing of the covenant in Edinburgh and
        burning of it in Linlithgow on the anniversary in 1662, along with
        the burning of Lex Rex, Causes of the Lord's Wrath, acts of
        Parliament, and acts of general assemblies from the covenanting era.
        In England, it came to be called Oak Apple Day, for the oak in which
        Charles II hid and saved his life at the battle of Worcester in Sept.
        1651 and was able to flee to the continent from whence he returned to
        the throne the next decade. As traditions go, persons would wear oak
        twigs that day to show loyalty to the monarchy. It became common for
        certain schoolboys if they saw you didn't wear anything to give
        tribute to the king, to answer your "disloyalty" by pinching the
        offender on the buttocks, of which and the day as a result also
        became known as Pinch-Bum day.
        -thebishopsdoom
      • CrazyCalvinist
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2004
          Oh hey, BD,  this is interesting.  I live not far from worcester,  and within walking distance,  or used to be,  its probably about 20 mins walk away,    we have a tree down by our local  train station,  that is connected with this,  that Charles hid in it during that time.

          I make no comment regarding Charles or any later monarchs. ;-)   But such persecuting times!  ;-)

          ~Deejay

          > Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being
          imposed, the anniversary of what?

          > This is what I seek!  Search!  Dig!
          As I recall, it was the anniversary of the restoration of the
          monarchy to the British Isles.
          With the passage of the Act of Supremacy and Act Rescissory, it was
          celebrated by the public tearing of the covenant in Edinburgh and
          burning of it in Linlithgow on the anniversary in 1662, along with
          the burning of Lex Rex, Causes of the Lord's Wrath, acts of
          Parliament, and acts of general assemblies from the covenanting era.
          In England, it came to be called Oak Apple Day, for the oak in which
          Charles II hid and saved his life at the battle of Worcester in Sept.
          1651 and was able to flee to the continent from whence he returned to
          the throne the next decade. As traditions go, persons would wear oak
          twigs that day to show loyalty to the monarchy. It became common for
          certain schoolboys if they saw you didn't wear anything to give
          tribute to the king, to answer your "disloyalty" by pinching the
          offender on the buttocks, of which and the day as a result also
          became known as Pinch-Bum day.
          -thebishopsdoom

          Delivery confirmed by confimax.com