Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter quiz

    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ginny Dohms"
      <gdawn@w...> wrote:
      > GMW,
      >
      > I am probably totally out to lunch but is it the King's Birthday -
      May 29?

      Ya know, it's hard to say "no" when you provided a quote indicating
      otherwise! But... we have the King (Charles II), and now the date
      (May 29th), but be it his birthday or not, what were the people
      required to give thanks for on that day?

      Hint: Dig out your Act, Delcaration, and Testimony.

      gmw.
    • Ginny Dohms
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        > Hint: Dig out your Act, Delcaration, and Testimony.

        O.K. How is this? You are truly making me dig into the books tonight. I
        really want to win this contest/quiz so I am going to keep trying until I
        get it right. :-)

        Ginny

        "They also declared, that the national covenant, as sworn in the year 1638,
        and the solemn league and covenant, were, and are in themselves unlawful
        oaths, and that they were imposed upon, and taken by the subjects of this
        kingdom, contrary to the fundamental laws and liberties thereof. And to
        complete all, they repealed all acts, ecclesiastical and civil approving the
        covenants, particularly the acts of the venerable assembly at Glasgow, 1638,
        declaring it an unlawful and seditious meeting. And thereafter, by a wicked
        act of the council of Glasgow, more than three hundred minister were
        illegaly thrust from their charges, for their nonconformity, in
        discountenancing a diocesan meeting, or synod, appointed by the archbishop
        of Glasgow, and not observing the anniversary thanksgiving, May 29th,
        enjoined by the parliament. The rest were violently ejected from the lawful
        exercise of their ministry in their several parishes, and were afterwards
        commanded by act of parliament to remove themselves and their families
        twenty miles distant from their respective flocks, and not to reside within
        six miles of any of their (so-called) cathedrals, or three miles of a burgh.
        By these means, many of those poor persecuted ministers, with their
        families, were brought into great hardships and wants, being so far removed
        from their beloved and affectionate flocks, that they were deprived .of that
        help from them, that doubtless they would cheerfully have ministered, for
        relieving them in their necessities and straits. All this was done at the
        instigation of the prelates, who could not endure to have a godly
        presbyterian minister near them, and were resolved to make them as miserable
        as possible.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2004
          Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being imposed, the anniversary of what?

          This is what I seek!  Search!  Dig!

          :)

          Being quiz-master is fun.

          Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 10:11 PM
          Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter quiz

          > Hint:  Dig out your Act, Delcaration, and Testimony.

          O.K.  How is this?  You are truly making me dig into the books tonight.  I
          really want to win this contest/quiz so I am going to keep trying until I
          get it right.  :-)

          Ginny

          "They also declared, that the national covenant, as sworn in the year 1638,
          and the solemn league and covenant, were, and are in themselves unlawful
          oaths, and that they were imposed upon, and taken by the subjects of this
          kingdom, contrary to the fundamental laws and liberties thereof. And to
          complete all, they repealed all acts, ecclesiastical and civil approving the
          covenants, particularly the acts of the venerable assembly at Glasgow, 1638,
          declaring it an unlawful and seditious meeting. And thereafter, by a wicked
          act of the council of Glasgow, more than three hundred minister were
          illegaly thrust from their charges, for their nonconformity, in
          discountenancing a diocesan meeting, or synod, appointed by the archbishop
          of Glasgow, and not observing the anniversary thanksgiving, May 29th,
          enjoined by the parliament. The rest were violently ejected from the lawful
          exercise of their ministry in their several parishes, and were afterwards
          commanded by act of parliament to remove themselves and their families
          twenty miles distant from their respective flocks, and not to reside within
          six miles of any of their (so-called) cathedrals, or three miles of a burgh.
          By these means, many of those poor persecuted ministers, with their
          families, were brought into great hardships and wants, being so far removed
          from their beloved and affectionate flocks, that they were deprived .of that
          help from them, that doubtless they would cheerfully have ministered, for
          relieving them in their necessities and straits. All this was done at the
          instigation of the prelates, who could not endure to have a godly
          presbyterian minister near them, and were resolved to make them as miserable
          as possible.

        • thebishopsdoom
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2004
            <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
            > Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being
            imposed, the anniversary of what?

            > This is what I seek! Search! Dig!
            As I recall, it was the anniversary of the restoration of the
            monarchy to the British Isles.
            With the passage of the Act of Supremacy and Act Rescissory, it was
            celebrated by the public tearing of the covenant in Edinburgh and
            burning of it in Linlithgow on the anniversary in 1662, along with
            the burning of Lex Rex, Causes of the Lord's Wrath, acts of
            Parliament, and acts of general assemblies from the covenanting era.
            In England, it came to be called Oak Apple Day, for the oak in which
            Charles II hid and saved his life at the battle of Worcester in Sept.
            1651 and was able to flee to the continent from whence he returned to
            the throne the next decade. As traditions go, persons would wear oak
            twigs that day to show loyalty to the monarchy. It became common for
            certain schoolboys if they saw you didn't wear anything to give
            tribute to the king, to answer your "disloyalty" by pinching the
            offender on the buttocks, of which and the day as a result also
            became known as Pinch-Bum day.
            -thebishopsdoom
          • CrazyCalvinist
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2004
              Oh hey, BD,  this is interesting.  I live not far from worcester,  and within walking distance,  or used to be,  its probably about 20 mins walk away,    we have a tree down by our local  train station,  that is connected with this,  that Charles hid in it during that time.

              I make no comment regarding Charles or any later monarchs. ;-)   But such persecuting times!  ;-)

              ~Deejay

              > Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being
              imposed, the anniversary of what?

              > This is what I seek!  Search!  Dig!
              As I recall, it was the anniversary of the restoration of the
              monarchy to the British Isles.
              With the passage of the Act of Supremacy and Act Rescissory, it was
              celebrated by the public tearing of the covenant in Edinburgh and
              burning of it in Linlithgow on the anniversary in 1662, along with
              the burning of Lex Rex, Causes of the Lord's Wrath, acts of
              Parliament, and acts of general assemblies from the covenanting era.
              In England, it came to be called Oak Apple Day, for the oak in which
              Charles II hid and saved his life at the battle of Worcester in Sept.
              1651 and was able to flee to the continent from whence he returned to
              the throne the next decade. As traditions go, persons would wear oak
              twigs that day to show loyalty to the monarchy. It became common for
              certain schoolboys if they saw you didn't wear anything to give
              tribute to the king, to answer your "disloyalty" by pinching the
              offender on the buttocks, of which and the day as a result also
              became known as Pinch-Bum day.
              -thebishopsdoom

              Delivery confirmed by confimax.com