Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter quiz

  • Ginny Dohms
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      GMW,

      I am probably totally out to lunch but is it the King's Birthday - May 29?
      Is this following quote somewhere along the right lines?

      Ginny

      The persecution of the outed clergy and Covenanters, and anyone providing
      them shelter or support, continued along with heavy fines. By 1677,
      landowners and masters were required to sign bonds for all persons residing
      on their land. Their landowners refused to accept this impossible
      undertaking. The Government loosed upon the south-west, and Ayrshire in
      particular, the Highland Host - a body of 6,000 Highlanders and 3,000
      Lowland militia who lived in free quarters while they extracted the bonds
      and looted the country. The simmering uprising led to the assassination of
      Archbishop Sharp, the symbol of the episcopacy and the persecutor of many
      Covenanters, at Magus Moor near St Andrews on 3rd May 1679.

      Following the assassination, a company of Covenanting extremists held a
      Conventicle in Avondale on 25th May. They prepared a public manifesto,
      ratified at public meetings and published at Rutherglen on 29th May - a date
      deliberately chosen as the unpopular public holiday for the King's birthday.
      General John Graham of Claverhouse ("Bloody Clavers" later Viscount Dundee
      and "Bonnie Dundee") attempted an attack on the Covenanters at a great
      Conventicle at Drumclog on Sunday 1st June but was repulsed. This was one of
      the Covenanter's few military victories.

      http://www.kinnaird.net/scothist.htm

      ***********************************
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ginny Dohms"
        <gdawn@w...> wrote:
        > GMW,
        >
        > I am probably totally out to lunch but is it the King's Birthday -
        May 29?

        Ya know, it's hard to say "no" when you provided a quote indicating
        otherwise! But... we have the King (Charles II), and now the date
        (May 29th), but be it his birthday or not, what were the people
        required to give thanks for on that day?

        Hint: Dig out your Act, Delcaration, and Testimony.

        gmw.
      • Ginny Dohms
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2004
          > Hint: Dig out your Act, Delcaration, and Testimony.

          O.K. How is this? You are truly making me dig into the books tonight. I
          really want to win this contest/quiz so I am going to keep trying until I
          get it right. :-)

          Ginny

          "They also declared, that the national covenant, as sworn in the year 1638,
          and the solemn league and covenant, were, and are in themselves unlawful
          oaths, and that they were imposed upon, and taken by the subjects of this
          kingdom, contrary to the fundamental laws and liberties thereof. And to
          complete all, they repealed all acts, ecclesiastical and civil approving the
          covenants, particularly the acts of the venerable assembly at Glasgow, 1638,
          declaring it an unlawful and seditious meeting. And thereafter, by a wicked
          act of the council of Glasgow, more than three hundred minister were
          illegaly thrust from their charges, for their nonconformity, in
          discountenancing a diocesan meeting, or synod, appointed by the archbishop
          of Glasgow, and not observing the anniversary thanksgiving, May 29th,
          enjoined by the parliament. The rest were violently ejected from the lawful
          exercise of their ministry in their several parishes, and were afterwards
          commanded by act of parliament to remove themselves and their families
          twenty miles distant from their respective flocks, and not to reside within
          six miles of any of their (so-called) cathedrals, or three miles of a burgh.
          By these means, many of those poor persecuted ministers, with their
          families, were brought into great hardships and wants, being so far removed
          from their beloved and affectionate flocks, that they were deprived .of that
          help from them, that doubtless they would cheerfully have ministered, for
          relieving them in their necessities and straits. All this was done at the
          instigation of the prelates, who could not endure to have a godly
          presbyterian minister near them, and were resolved to make them as miserable
          as possible.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2004
            Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being imposed, the anniversary of what?

            This is what I seek!  Search!  Dig!

            :)

            Being quiz-master is fun.

            Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 10:11 PM
            Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter quiz

            > Hint:  Dig out your Act, Delcaration, and Testimony.

            O.K.  How is this?  You are truly making me dig into the books tonight.  I
            really want to win this contest/quiz so I am going to keep trying until I
            get it right.  :-)

            Ginny

            "They also declared, that the national covenant, as sworn in the year 1638,
            and the solemn league and covenant, were, and are in themselves unlawful
            oaths, and that they were imposed upon, and taken by the subjects of this
            kingdom, contrary to the fundamental laws and liberties thereof. And to
            complete all, they repealed all acts, ecclesiastical and civil approving the
            covenants, particularly the acts of the venerable assembly at Glasgow, 1638,
            declaring it an unlawful and seditious meeting. And thereafter, by a wicked
            act of the council of Glasgow, more than three hundred minister were
            illegaly thrust from their charges, for their nonconformity, in
            discountenancing a diocesan meeting, or synod, appointed by the archbishop
            of Glasgow, and not observing the anniversary thanksgiving, May 29th,
            enjoined by the parliament. The rest were violently ejected from the lawful
            exercise of their ministry in their several parishes, and were afterwards
            commanded by act of parliament to remove themselves and their families
            twenty miles distant from their respective flocks, and not to reside within
            six miles of any of their (so-called) cathedrals, or three miles of a burgh.
            By these means, many of those poor persecuted ministers, with their
            families, were brought into great hardships and wants, being so far removed
            from their beloved and affectionate flocks, that they were deprived .of that
            help from them, that doubtless they would cheerfully have ministered, for
            relieving them in their necessities and straits. All this was done at the
            instigation of the prelates, who could not endure to have a godly
            presbyterian minister near them, and were resolved to make them as miserable
            as possible.

          • thebishopsdoom
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2004
              <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
              > Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being
              imposed, the anniversary of what?

              > This is what I seek! Search! Dig!
              As I recall, it was the anniversary of the restoration of the
              monarchy to the British Isles.
              With the passage of the Act of Supremacy and Act Rescissory, it was
              celebrated by the public tearing of the covenant in Edinburgh and
              burning of it in Linlithgow on the anniversary in 1662, along with
              the burning of Lex Rex, Causes of the Lord's Wrath, acts of
              Parliament, and acts of general assemblies from the covenanting era.
              In England, it came to be called Oak Apple Day, for the oak in which
              Charles II hid and saved his life at the battle of Worcester in Sept.
              1651 and was able to flee to the continent from whence he returned to
              the throne the next decade. As traditions go, persons would wear oak
              twigs that day to show loyalty to the monarchy. It became common for
              certain schoolboys if they saw you didn't wear anything to give
              tribute to the king, to answer your "disloyalty" by pinching the
              offender on the buttocks, of which and the day as a result also
              became known as Pinch-Bum day.
              -thebishopsdoom
            • CrazyCalvinist
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2004
                Oh hey, BD,  this is interesting.  I live not far from worcester,  and within walking distance,  or used to be,  its probably about 20 mins walk away,    we have a tree down by our local  train station,  that is connected with this,  that Charles hid in it during that time.

                I make no comment regarding Charles or any later monarchs. ;-)   But such persecuting times!  ;-)

                ~Deejay

                > Yes, this is a reference to it, but what "anniversary" was being
                imposed, the anniversary of what?

                > This is what I seek!  Search!  Dig!
                As I recall, it was the anniversary of the restoration of the
                monarchy to the British Isles.
                With the passage of the Act of Supremacy and Act Rescissory, it was
                celebrated by the public tearing of the covenant in Edinburgh and
                burning of it in Linlithgow on the anniversary in 1662, along with
                the burning of Lex Rex, Causes of the Lord's Wrath, acts of
                Parliament, and acts of general assemblies from the covenanting era.
                In England, it came to be called Oak Apple Day, for the oak in which
                Charles II hid and saved his life at the battle of Worcester in Sept.
                1651 and was able to flee to the continent from whence he returned to
                the throne the next decade. As traditions go, persons would wear oak
                twigs that day to show loyalty to the monarchy. It became common for
                certain schoolboys if they saw you didn't wear anything to give
                tribute to the king, to answer your "disloyalty" by pinching the
                offender on the buttocks, of which and the day as a result also
                became known as Pinch-Bum day.
                -thebishopsdoom

                Delivery confirmed by confimax.com