9544Re: Lawfulness of theater (The Act, Declaration & Testimony in error?)

  • thebishopsdoom
    Jan 1, 2004
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Britton
      <bander1643@y...> wrote:
      > I found this in Thomas Watson's Sermons on the Ten Commandments:
      > "Idolatry is devil worship, Ezek 20:27,31. 'They sacrificed unto
      devils, not to God; to new gods,' Deut 32: 17. These new gods were
      old devils. 'And they shall no more offer their sacrifices unto
      devils,' Lev 17: 7. The Hebrew word La-sairim, is the hairy ones,
      because the devils were hairy, and appeared in the forms of satyrs
      and goats."
      > Now, allow me quote a few things posted last March (post # 7990),
      and empasize a few things:
      > The first "tragedies" were myths which were danced and sung by
      a "chorus" at festivals in honour of Dionysius (God of Wine). [snip]

      a few questions to help clarify your ideas.
      Which of the following propositions would you agree with:

      1. Acting is in itself intrinsically and formally an act of devil
      2. All things originating from influence or ideas of pagans /
      heretics are inherently formally and always pagan / heretical
      3. Acting is not formally devil worship, but is inherently sinful
      4. Acting is not pagan per se, but doing it or viewing it for
      entertainment is inherently pagan
      5. Theatrical entertainments have historically from their roots been
      a social influence that has been supported by pagans and immoral
      persons but generally opposed by philosophers and theologians over a
      demoralizing and "lowest common denominator" effect the theatre was
      seen to have had over time on cultures in general and on actors
      acting out these things in particular.

      If you agree with any of the propositions 1-4, it would probably be
      helpful to clarify how you would define the term "acting" and whether
      or how you distinguish it from children playing house or with toys,
      police / military / emergency training scenarios, or historical re-
      enactments for educational purposes.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic