9405[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Covenanting and Germany

  • Dan Fraas
    Dec 8, 2003
      Whit,

      It seems to me that the Westminster Standards were not "covenanted
      with God" specifically, but that they were written in fulfillment of
      and subsequent to a mutual covenant by Christians to honor God in
      obedience and unity of doctrine. Surely all members of churches with
      formal church membership are covenanted before God with each other by
      way of their vows of church membership. All those who have promised
      to submit to the government of their churches have in this way
      covenanted under the doctrinal standards that have been approved by
      their synods. Most Christians are covenanters on this level, they
      just haven't grown their covenant concept to national proportions.

      For Christ's Crown and Covenant!

      Riley
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, seamrog1935
      Jordan@t...
      > > wrote:
      > > > Dear Dan, dear Jerry,
      > > >
      > > > I do not think that your example is that well-chosen or at
      least
      > almost
      > > > unpracticable, since the Reformed churches in Germany never
      > adopted as a
      > > > whole the Three Forms of Unity.
      > >
      > > Right, we are speaking hypotheticals here. The question is, if a
      > > group of people specifially swore to uphold certain sub-standards
      > (the
      > > Three Forms was merely an example) migrated to a nation under the
      > > Solemn League and Covenant (sworn to uphold the Westminster
      > > Standards), what then?
      > >

      > I would contribute, but I am at a loss for an answer except to say
      > that it would seem that the Confession that is the greatest
      > attainment (as measured by Scripture) and that was covenanted with
      > God would take precedence. Why would one want to slide back to a
      > subordinate standard of lesser attainment? Were the Three Forms of
      > Unity (TFU) covenanted with God just as the Scottish Covenants were
      > or were the TFU merely affirmed as agreeable to Scripture? I know
      > next to nothing about mainland Reformation except for the First
      > Reformation and Dort.
      >
      > Whit
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic