9400[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Covenanting and Germany

  • seamrog1935
    Dec 6, 2003
      <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Volker-Jordan@t...
      > wrote:
      > > Dear Dan, dear Jerry,
      > >
      > > I do not think that your example is that well-chosen or at least
      almost
      > > unpracticable, since the Reformed churches in Germany never
      adopted as a
      > > whole the Three Forms of Unity.
      >
      > Right, we are speaking hypotheticals here. The question is, if a
      > group of people specifially swore to uphold certain sub-standards
      (the
      > Three Forms was merely an example) migrated to a nation under the
      > Solemn League and Covenant (sworn to uphold the Westminster
      > Standards), what then?

      I would contribute, but I am at a loss for an answer except to say
      that it would seem that the Confession that is the greatest
      attainment (as measured by Scripture) and that was covenanted with
      God would take precedence. Why would one want to slide back to a
      subordinate standard of lesser attainment? Were the Three Forms of
      Unity (TFU) covenanted with God just as the Scottish Covenants were
      or were the TFU merely affirmed as agreeable to Scripture? I know
      next to nothing about mainland Reformation except for the First
      Reformation and Dort.

      Whit
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic