9396[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Covenanting.

    Dec 5, 2003
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
      <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
      > <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Did you know that the Protestants in German DID swear a Covenant
      > > (Smalcald)?
      >
      > Yes, I knew that, but I hadn't thought of it. I'm not sure it was
      > all the Protestants who covenanted. If the group in this scenario
      > were German covenanters from covenanted nations, it seems that would
      > only complicate the issue.

      Well, not if the matter of the Covenant is essentially the same,
      swearing to uphold, defend, and prosecute the True Religion against
      Papacy and other enemies, and swearing to band together with and
      defend those who do the same.

      > > In your scenerio, are the Germans seeking citizenship in the
      > > covenanted land? Or, are they simply seeking refuge (like the
      > Marian
      > > Exhiles in Geneva?).
      >
      > Let's say they are seeking permanent refuge. They are content to
      > live and work in the land and to bear children there. They may never
      > become citizens, but their children will be born citizens.

      I suppose the citizens of the covenanted nation would be bound by the
      covenant privileges and obligations of that nation. The question in
      my mind is whether or not those who were covenanted in essence to the
      Protestant Religion, though perhaps in a different form (i.e.
      different sub-standards) would be bound to the old standards or the
      new ones. That I'll have to ponder a bit more.

      Good question.