9167Re: Going back to Rome is COVENANT BREAKING

    Oct 31, 2003
      More on Going back to Rome is COVENANT BREAKING:

      From the National Covenant of Scotland:

      "WE all and every one of us under-written, protest, That, after long
      and due examination of our own consciences in matters of true and
      false religion, we are now thoroughly resolved in the truth by the
      word and Spirit of God: and therefore we believe with our hearts,
      confess with our mouths, subscribe with our hands, and constantly
      affirm, before God and the whole world, that this only is the true
      Christian faith and religion, pleasing God, and bringing salvation to
      man, which now is, by the mercy of God, revealed to the world by the
      preaching of the blessed evangel....

      "To the which Confession and Form of Religion we willingly agree in
      our conscience in all points, as unto God's undoubted truth and
      verity, grounded only upon his written word. And therefore we abhor
      and detest all contrary religion and doctrine; but chiefly all kind of
      Papistry in general and particular heads, even as they are now damned
      and confuted by the word of God and Kirk of Scotland. But, in special,
      we detest and refuse the usurped authority of that Roman Antichrist
      upon the scriptures of God, upon the kirk, the civil magistrate, and
      consciences of men; all his tyrannous laws made upon indifferent
      things against our Christian liberty; his erroneous doctrine against
      the sufficiency of the written word, the perfection of the law, the
      office of Christ, and his blessed evangel; his corrupted doctrine
      concerning original sin, our natural inability and rebellion to God's
      law, our justification by faith only, our imperfect sanctification and
      obedience to the law; the nature, number, and use of the holy
      sacraments; his five bastard sacraments, with all his rites,
      ceremonies, and false doctrine, added to the ministration of the true
      sacraments without the word of God; his cruel judgment against infants
      departing without the sacrament; his absolute necessity of baptism;
      his blasphemous opinion of transubstantiation, or real presence of
      Christ's body in the elements, and receiving of the same by the
      wicked, or bodies of men; his dispensations with solemn oaths,
      perjuries, and degrees of marriage forbidden in the word; his cruelty
      against the innocent divorced; his devilish mass; his blasphemous
      priesthood; his profane sacrifice for sins of the dead and the quick;
      his canonization of men; calling upon angels or saints departed,
      worshipping of imagery, relicks, and crosses; dedicating of kirks,
      altars, days; vows to creatures; his purgatory, prayers for the dead;
      praying or speaking in a strange language, with his processions, and
      blasphemous litany, and multitude of advocates or mediators; his
      manifold orders, auricular confession; his desperate and uncertain
      repentance; his general and doubtsome faith; his satisfaction of men
      for their sins; his justification by works, opus operatum, works of
      supererogation, merits, pardons, peregrinations, and stations; his
      holy water, baptizing of bells, conjuring of spirits, crossing,
      sayning, anointing, conjuring, hallowing of God's good creatures, with
      the superstitious opinion joined therewith; his worldly monarchy, and
      wicked hierarchy; his three solemn vows, with all his shavelings of
      sundry sorts; his erroneous and bloody decrees made at Trent, with all
      the subscribers or approvers of that cruel and bloody band, conjured
      against the kirk of God. And finally, we detest all his vain
      allegories, rites, signs, and traditions brought in the kirk, without
      or against the word of God, and doctrine of this true reformed kirk;
      to the which we join ourselves willingly, in doctrine, faith,
      religion, discipline, and use of the holy sacraments, as lively
      members of the same in Christ our head: promising and swearing, by the
      great name of the LORD our GOD, that we shall continue in the
      obedience of the doctrine and discipline of this kirk, and shall
      defend the same, according to our vocation and power, all the days of
      our lives; under the pains contained in the law, and danger both of
      body and soul in the day of God's fearful judgment."

      ---

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "weeping_calvinist"