7741Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: A question for Gary

  • Martin
    Feb 2, 2003
      From the epistle to the reader from Calvin's Institutes of the Christian
      Religion:
      "I may add, that my object in this work was to prepare and train students of
      theology for the study of the Sacred Volume, so that they might both have an
      easy introduction to it, and be able to proceed in it, with unfaltering
      step, seeing I have endeavoured to give such a summary of religion in all
      its parts, and have digested it into such an order as may make it not
      difficult for any one, who is rightly acquainted with it, to ascertain both
      what he ought principally to look for in Scripture, and also to what head he
      ought to refer whatever is contained in it. Having thus, as it were, paved
      the way, I shall not feel it necessary, in any Commentaries on Scripture
      which I may afterwards publish, to enter into long discussions of doctrines
      or dilate on common places, and will, therefore, always compress them. In
      this way the pious reader will be saved much trouble and weariness, provided
      he comes furnished with a knowledge of the present work as an essential
      prerequisite. As my Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans will give a
      specimen of this plan, I would much rather let it speak for itself than
      declare it in words. Farewell, dear reader, and if you derive any fruit from
      my labours, give me the benefit of your prayers to the Lord. "

      Martin