6787RE: [Covenanted Reformation] Luther on Antinomians

  • Bill Ross
    Dec 1, 2002
      <Susan>
      >>The MORAL law is perpetual.

      <Bill>
      Agreed. But what is the moral law? Where is it defined in scripture?

      <Susan>
      >>The CEREMONIAL law was abrogated (by being fulfilled) with Christ's
      coming. We do not keep the ceremonial law because it has served its
      purpose.

      <Bill>
      How does that square with this?:

      Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one
      jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be
      fulfilled.

      You see, the torah is a covenant. God does not alter a covenant that was
      sealed in blood!

      Psalms 89:34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is
      gone out of my lips.

      Galatians 3:15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be
      but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or
      addeth thereto. {covenant: or, testament}

      <Susan>
      >>We do not keep the moral law to gain salvation (for those who try that
      are indeed bound to keep all the law perfectly and perpetually), but we
      keep the moral law precisely because it defines how we are to love God
      and our neighbor.

      <Bill>
      So where in scripture is the moral law defined?

      <Susan>
      >>You have some serious errors in your doctrine (some that I recognize
      that I have been taught in the past), I urge you to consider carefully
      what the men here have been telling you. Read, read, read, and please
      don't dismiss what you read out of hand. The Lord did not have you
      wander into this club for no reason.

      <Bill>
      Please point me to the scriptures that assert:

      * the 10 commandments constitute the moral law
      * the believer is under the jurisdiction of the 10 commandments
      * the ceremonial law has been abrogated

      Then I will be content.

      As it is, I read that God does not alter his covenants. Rather, Christ
      died that we might be dead to the law, to be married to another.

      Shalom,

      Bill Ross
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic