5561Re: The James Begg Society

  • Jerry
    Oct 1, 2002
      Dear Simon,

      Is there a new link? The one I used got me the old site.

      gmw.

      P.S. -- I'd be glad to get into the controversies that split the
      Church of Scotland. I'll mention some briefly here, and then in more
      detail as I continue the series on Covie History. Of course, if
      anyone else wants to get this conversation going now, be my guest.

      The first controversy was the one between the Protestors and the
      Resolutioners. The Resolutioners agreed with the Resolutions which
      were passed that allowed "malignants" (open enemies of the
      Reformation, covenant-refusers, and covenant-breakers) to hold office
      in Church and State.

      The Protestors took the contrary view, which was that the Covenants
      sworn by both Church and State did NOT allow such a resolution. Men
      like Patrick Gillespie, Samuel Rutherford, and James Guthrie were
      some notable Protestors.

      The controversy you noted, the Revolution Settlement, was a great
      divider. The Church of Scotland agreed to this settlement which
      established Presbyterianism (not as Jus Divinum, but as a way to shut
      up the Presbyterians), and which ratified the Westminster Standards.
      Problems: What about the Covenants? Are we to forget they ever
      happened? Will the Church of Scotland acknowledge her sin in
      breaking Covenant? Should the Covenanters acknowledge a Church which
      is settled on Erastian principles? The Covenanters declined
      participation in the Revolution Church. So do I.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "S.P.Padbury" <S.Padbury@s...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Covenanted Reformation Club folk,
      >
      > I have just uploaded an entire replacement for the James Begg
      > Society website. Take a look! Tell me what doesn't work, and
      > where the mistakes are...! Of particular interest to you may be the
      > Westminster Standards documents (British; not the American
      > edited ones), which I have given drop-down menus for easy
      > navigation; and the WCF and WLC I have also made into frames
      > versions (but whole-document versions are still also available).
      >
      > God willing, there'll be more to come. I hope to put on the JBS
      site
      > again the Sum of Saving Knowledge, and some other stuff. But I'm
      > very busy a the moment.
      >
      > I've only told a few of you folk, but I've got a new job and so my
      wife
      > and I, therefore, hope to be moving soon. The job is about a
      > hundred miles away, and I have to go there at the end of the
      > month, meanwhile my wife will still be in Sheffield sorting out the
      > house move from that end. We have no car, so that's just how it
      > will have to be for 2-3 months, however long it takes to move
      > house. I'll help with the packing up as much as I can...!
      >
      > This move means that I will be leaving the vicinity of Sheffield
      > University, where I have free email access. This means that in a
      > couple of weeks time, for a while at least, I will have to come off
      > this CovenantedReformation discussion list, until I get email set
      up
      > in our new home.
      >
      > I have a question for you Covenanters out there. Can you explain to
      > me what happened that led to the Reformed Presbyterians splitting
      > off from the other Scottish presbyterians? -- about the Revolution
      > Settlement, its contents, and the views that each side of the split
      > took?
      >
      > Yours sincerely, Simon Padbury.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic