5247Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: What Think Ye

  • S.P.Padbury
    Sep 2, 2002
      Dear Patric,

      Just a quick note this time. Thankyou for this discussion -- it's
      helping me too.

      You say...

      <<Methodism ... ... ... tends towards Popery moreso than other
      Arminian churches since it teaches that Baptism regenerates at
      the very time of Baptism.>>

      I didn't know that. Where are you getting your facts from?

      <<In the Lutheran church, I am starting to read that they also have
      a remnant of Popery since one of their confessions says that "they
      (Lutherans) teach that Baptism is required for salvation" (in the
      Augsburg Confession, I think, just before it condemns the errors of
      Anabaptists and other sects), that Baptism regenerates and
      justifies at the very time of Baptism, and yet say that one who dies
      with[out] Baptism is not necessarily unsaved.>>

      Yes, and with Luther's consubstantiation doctrine, Lutheranism
      stays as half-Reformed. It's a shame.

      <<I am starting to read where there are "calvinistic methodist"
      churches such as in Wales.>>

      These also call themselved presbyteran, and for the most part they
      are Welsh speaking, I think. I lived in Wales for 3 years. Dr Martin
      Lloyd Jones came from these Calvinistic Methodists. A few of
      these congregations have joined with some English paedobaptist
      predestinarian small groups, which have grown to become
      churches. They have become organised and constituted into a
      presbytery called the Evanglical Presbyterian Church of England
      and Wales (EPCEW). They sing both Psalms and man-made
      hymns, and are similar to the OPC over there in the USA.

      <<I am indeed grateful to God who in His Unconditional Mercy
      saved me in 1993 and has been sanctifying me towards
      Christlikeness in the true Christian faith, which is the Reformed
      faith.>>

      Great attitude to have. Very Calvinist. And, very Pauline. Paul
      wrote often in his epistles that he *thanked God* for the faith of
      those to whom he was writing. Arminians think this is strange!
      Why thank God for a person's faith...? Hmm!

      Also semper Reformanda,

      Simon.
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic