4894Terms of Communion

  • christ_saves_sinners
    Aug 10, 2002
      CL: So tell us, Shawn, is the RPNA the only "true church" and thus
      the "most faithful church," while all other churches make up
      the "disobedient church" and those who attend them are "in sin?" If
      not, would name the "other" true churches and most faithful churches?

      S: Let me begin by stating that I am in agreement with our
      Confession, where it states (25.5): "V. The purest Churches under
      heaven are subject both to mixture and error: and some have so
      degenerated as to become apparently no Churches of Christ.
      Nevertheless, there shall be always a Church on earth, to worship God
      according to his will."

      We are not the "only true church". I think you are speaking as to
      BEING, which I have said a lot about already, as does elder Barrow's
      book.

      I would say that we maintain that we are the "most faithful church"
      in the British Isles, and those whom are the posterity of them, as
      far as we know. I would also think that all other denominations would
      hold to this distinction as well, though it usually is an implicit,
      or unexpressed term of their communion and fellowship.

      As for the "disobedient churches", I am not aware of any that
      explicitly come out and say, we would rather disobey Christ and
      remain separate for unbiblical reasons.

      I do not know of any other Presbyterian denominations that hold to
      our Terms of Communion. And seeing that our Terms are in agreement
      with the Word of God, they are what I have to compare other Church's
      Terms of Communion with. If there was a denomination with Terms more
      faithful to the Scriptures, then I would adopt them, as I know our
      Presbytery would seek to do as well. So at this point I would have to
      say that in the British Isles, North America, or any Presbyterian
      body on earth that has maintained it's historical faithfulness.

      Here are our Temrs of Communion:
      1. An acknowledgement of the Old and New Testament to be the word of
      God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

      2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith,
      and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and
      founded upon the Scriptures.

      3. That Presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are
      alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect
      model of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of
      Government and Directory for Worship, adopted by the Church of
      Scotland in the Second Reformation.

      4. That public, social covenanting is an ordinance of God, obligatory
      on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the National
      Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this divine
      institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation upon
      the moral person; and in consistency with this, that the Renovation
      of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, Scotland, 1712, was agreeable to
      the word of God.

      5. An approbation of the faithful contending of the martyrs of Jesus,
      especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy, Malignancy
      and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian tolerations and
      persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial Testimony
      emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761 with
      supplements from the Reformed Presbyterian Church; as containing a
      noble example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and
      in testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions
      of either churches or states.

      6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Saviour by walking in
      all His commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

      cont'd....
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic