4817Re: Why so many versions?

  • raging_calvinist
    Aug 5, 2002
      Well James, that's a good question.

      I suppose we could take the "Jack Chick" route and say that there are
      so many versions because THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IS PURPOSELY
      TRYING TO CORRUPT THE WORD OF GOD,

      But...

      I happen to believe that many, if not all, of the mainline
      translations (as opposed to the junk put out by guys like Joseph
      Smith) exist because some people honestly believe they are better
      translations from the "oldest and the best" manuscripts. Of course,
      what people intend to do, and what they end up doing, are not always
      the same thing.

      Other translations, I suppose, exist because 1) We have grown to
      stupid as a society to follow the King's English, and 2) we think the
      Bible(s) that we do have are not quite good enough to reach teens,
      women, African-Americans, husband's who don't keep their "promises",
      etc., so we need to keep cranking out Bibles that are personalized
      for them.

      That's my take at the moment,

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "jamescovie" <jamescovie@y...>
      wrote:
      > I was wondering if anybody knows why we have so many different
      > versions of the bible? How come we cannot just have one version of
      the
      > bible? I really don't think it pleases God to see we have all these
      > different versions, well it is kind of late now so I had better
      > get going!
      > Thanks
      > James
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic