4450Re: question

  • thebishopsdoom
    Jun 27, 2002
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "raging_calvinist"
      <ragingcalvinist@c...> wrote:
      >If this is the wreck you're talking about, I was unaware
      > that they may have been convinced to compromise. If you eventually
      > track down that info, let us know.
      The ship in question was the Crown, which sunk off Orkney, carrying
      prisoners from the battle of Bothwell Bridge.
      As to the question of compromise:
      Act, Declaration, and Testimony for the Whole of our Covenanted
      Reformation (as I found it quoted in another document, I presume the
      wording is correct to the original but didn't check the original):
      "It was the land's sin that they continued still to own the
      authority
      of Charles II., when opposite to, and destructive of religion and
      liberty: and of those who appeared in arms at Pentland and Bothwell
      Bridge, that they put in his interest (with application of the words
      of the Covenant to him, though stated in opposition to it) into the
      state of the quarrel, in their declaration of war, for which, (so far
      as the godly could discern,) the Lord put them to shame and went not
      forth with their armies."
      Secondly, a division was laid out at Bothwell bridge over those who
      had taken the indulgences and not repented of it. Many of those
      killed or captured were of the indulged or who agreed the indulgence
      was ok. This division was never healed among them, thoug the
      societies (who were against the indulgences) charitably reckoned the
      indulged as still "fellow" persecuted Christians (as evidenced from
      the willingness to include the list of all those on the Crown as
      martyrs for Christ, though some indeed were compromised by the
      indulgence), though unwilling to agree with some of the compromise
      they made in accepting the indulgences, which were seen by the
      societies as compromising the very principles for which these "fellow
      sufferers" were continuing to be killed and seen by the societies as
      something that needed to continue to be boldly and strongly testified
      against as a defection.
      I believe that is the info you were looking for.
      -thebishopsdoom
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic