4380Re: Terms of Communion

  • thebishopsdoom
    Jun 16, 2002
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"
      <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
      "> Thanks for the link to the additional tokens (I didn't know that
      > other Reformeds used them, but it is very good to know)."

      Calvin pushed for communion tokens as an expedient adiaphora
      (circumstance, not regarded as worship) to ensure proper "fencing" of
      the Lord's table, so elders would know who had or had not been
      admitted to communion already. I have heard he got the idea from
      mention of such a practice in the early church, but I don't know
      where he was said to have found the reference. I don't know how
      widespread the tokens took ground, but France and Scotland had
      definitely adopted the practice, the latter so much so that many
      think it is a Scottish distinctive. However, other denominations,
      such as the methodists also employed the use of communion tokens.

      ">Do any
      > churches still use them today?"

      A former professor told me, o, maybe near a year ago that he's been
      to a presbyterian church in Nova Scotia (as of recent years) where
      they were using communion tokens, because he asked if I had ever
      heard of the practice. He didn't know the specific denomination. I
      don't know (or if I do, I don't recall offhand) who else is actually
      using tokens. However, there are yet a number of presbyterian
      churches (but by no means the majority of them, even if you exclude
      the more liberal presbyterians like the PCUSA) that still require an
      interview for admission to communion, whether they use tokens to help
      them ensure the fencing of the table to allow only those who have
      been admitted or not.

      -thebishopsdoom
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic