240More Gillespie: on the Socinians

  • raging_calvinist
    Jul 30 4:15 AM
      Patrick Gillespie wrote concerning the Socinian
      viewpoint:<br><br>"For my own poor apprehensions of this point; 1. I
      look upon the Socinian opinion in this matter as
      extreme, and of dangerous consequence; for they deny
      Justice and Mercy to be Properties or Attributes of God,
      making Justice (or as they call it, Anger) no property
      in God; but the mere voluntary effect of his Will;
      denying any such Justice in God, whereby he propends to
      punish sin, and making it wholly arbitrary, to punish,
      or not to punish. Upon this foundation they build,
      that Christ did not die by way of satisfaction.... 2.
      It is another extreme to infer hence, that because
      justice is in some sense a natural propberty in God, and
      his punishing of sin is not merely from his will;
      therefore God punisheth sin by necessity of nature, and
      cannot but punish it, or require satisfaction, more than
      he can deny his own Nature, or cease to be God.
      Against this assertion, the Reasons brought by Mr.
      Rutherford (to which I refer the reader) do strongly
      conclude."<br><br>I plan on posting parts of Rutherford's Covenant of
      Life Opened which touch on this issue of God's
      vindicative justice later.<br><br>For now, see that the 1)
      Socinians denied that Justice was one of God's attributes,
      and therefore, 2) They denied that a substitionary
      atonement was IN ANY WAY necessary, and so, 3) They denied
      that the death of Christ was a substitionary
      atonement.<br><br>Contrary to the Socinians, we affirm that "God is a
      spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in His
      being, wisdom, power, holiness, JUSTICE, goodness and
      truth." We affirm that the atonement IS necessary, though
      not absolutely, or by necessity of nature, but by
      God's decree, and this being the case, Christ's death
      WAS a substitionary atonement apart from which none
      can be saved.<br><br>gmw.
    • Show all 734 messages in this topic