16983Re: [Covenanted Reformation] AROSE A G A I N = PREDESTINATION!!!

  • bob_suden
    Nov 7, 2010
      Thanks Glenn et al, for clarifying this.
      I used to have family in SF and still do in Beserkley and Portola
      Valley. Haven't dropped into First for years. Chuck and the elders at
      one time were working with a mission outreach in Fremont/S. Bay, so I
      kind of wondered if he had gone there. Hadn't heard that he moved to
      LA. Since Chuck and the church also took some real heat from the modern
      day descendants of a certain Biblical city, as well as holding to the
      historic presbyterian position on worship in both principle and
      <i>practice</i> (I heard GI. Williamson at First's '96 conference on
      worship), one can understand the vacancy, but five years is still a
      long time. I imagine there was a lot of candidating, pulpit supply from
      presbytery and taped sermons. Good on First for holding out.

      The Lord's best to the new pastor and congregation.
      Bob S.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell
      <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

      > I'm now resident in the manse of First OPC in San Francisco, on the
      west side of the city, 1350 Lawton Street. This was the congregation
      served by Charles McIlhenny for 32 years. He is now a hospital chaplain
      in Southern California. During Mr. McIlhenny's pastorate, First OPC did
      become an a capella Exclusive Psalmody congregation. They remain so.
      One of the reasons their pulpit was vacant for five years was the
      difficulty of finding a man who shared their views and could articulate
      them. The Lord willing, I will be installed as Pastor this coming
      Friday, November 5th, at 7:30 PM.

      > Glenn
      >

      > J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor-elect of First Orthodox Presbyterian Church
      in San Francisco.

      > To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      > From: bsuden@...
      > Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:14:20 +0000
      > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] AROSE A G A I N =
      PREDESTINATION!!!

      > It was a good answer by "J. Glenn Ferrell, Minister of the Gospel of
      > Jesus Christ, about to be "translated" to San Francisco."
      >
      > My question would be, where in SF?
      >
      > First OPC of SF which was a psalm singing congregation?
      > Former pastor Chuck McIllhenny left I don't know when and went where?
      >
      > Anybody know?

      > "PuritanoPresbiteriano" puritanpresbyterian@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey, where's the "Like" button on this thing?
      > >
      > > I "Like" this post by Rev. Ferrell.
      > >
      > > ;^)
      > >
      > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell
      > jglennferrell@ wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I suspect people are more active on Facebook and other forums
      today
      > than listservers like this one. To imply one has an obligation to post
      > or respond on this or any group is to make an internet forum an
      > ordinance or means of grace. The church is where one has an obligation
      > to encourage fellow believers.
      > > >
      > > > Eric: Why not tell us something about yourself and your concerns.
      > People here may then offer some encouragement and help.
      > > >
      > > > Glenn
      > > >

      > > > J. Glenn Ferrell, Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, about to
      > be "translated" to San Francisco.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic