16886Re: The Lord's Supper, the Biblical (&Scottish) way

  • PuritanoPresbiteriano
    Jan 6, 2010
      Parnell,

      It was the case in Geneva and elsewhere that there were worship services every day in the early morning.  I think that Capitalism, but more so the Industrial revolution, with the advent of electricity, has caused our societies to extend the workday to such an extent that worship services more commonly come in at least two options (being squeezed out by the work schedule):

      1. One service in the AM (with its own options -traditional, contemporary, & fill in the blank)
      or
      2. Come Saturday evening if you can't make it Sunday morning.

      These are more common in non-conservative Presbyterian circles.

      In our circles, 2 worship services on the Lord's Day is the most one will get during the week, and maybe a mid-week PM low attended prayer meeting/Bible study.

      It truly is lamentable.  I am grateful to God for our congregation in that we have 2 services on the Lord's Day & a third one during the time of Communion.

      I agree, I too would like that tendency resisted.  I think it begins with good ecclesiastical leadership, teaching, and motivation (Biblically speaking) combined with consistent family worship.  If most families barely can have family worship nowadays, less so will the attendance be in the congregation if offered multiply times a week.

      Edgar

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "puritanone" <joseph.mccarter@...> wrote:

      > > Yeah, you got me there! I have no answer for you but that those two
      > > extra days are not done here in the US. My personal opinion - a casualty
      > > of the modern work week! But, those extra days are more indifferent,
      > > no? The manner of the sitting at table, with wine, common cup, and etc,
      > > I think is not.
      > >
      > > What sayest thou, my good friend?
      > >

      > Edgar, I would not disagree with you, which is why in my earlier post I focused on the *Scottish* way, and did not insist it was the one and only Biblical way. Since you had mentioned the previous day's preparatory service, I thought you were considering the whole communion season.
      >
      > All of that being said, it does not speak well of America when things are pared down for an American audience, because we are too "busy". I would like to see that tendency resisted.
      >

      > - J. Parnell McCarter

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic