16872Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Worship Distinctive/Songs of Zion rpt.

  • skylermarks
    Dec 13, 2009
      Thanks for the mention Bob, though Songs of Zion probably will be under my Confessional Presbyterian Press imprint as Naphtali's modus operandi is to publish voices from the past. I'm looking forward to working on it, though it has some challengingly long footnotes to consider in layout. The work is rather unique (in itself and for me) in being around for 30 years and for having gone through several editions prior with Crown & Covenant.

      Sincerely,
      Chris Coldwell
      Naphtali Press http://www.naphtali.com
      The Confessional Presbyterian journal http://www.cpjournal.com
      Westminster Letter Press www.westminsterletterpress.com

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden" <bsuden@...> wrote:

      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > bander1643 wrote:
      > > > FWIW
      > > > Tom
      > > >
      > > > Ghostly Echoes: A Eulogy <http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/?p=6366>
      >

      > > That is one of the most vastly over-written straw-man arguments I have
      > > ever seen.
      >

      > Not to change the subject from the recent flurry of posts, but I agree
      > with Larry on this one.
      > P&R Christian commits hari-kiri in an unconditional and abject
      > surrender to academic post modernism.
      >
      > IOW I found the article pretty confusing. Yes, psalmody was an important
      > part of worship as well as emotional, but the question is not whether
      > it builds a community or camaraderie, but whether it is true.
      > (I also did not know that Washington Irving's was raised
      > ScotchPresbyterian and quite famous in his time as an American author.
      > Had to go out and pick up a copy of his Legend of Sleepy Hollow
      > illustrated by A Rackham to get up to literary speed.)
      > Front Porch Republic is also where DG Hart of the OPC hangs out. He
      > wrote With Reverence and Awe; Returning to the Basics of Reformed
      > Worship in 2002.
      >
      > Yet a better defence of psalmody and the RPW would be Michael
      > Bushell's Songs of Zion which CColdwell recently announced will be
      > reprinted in the fall of 2010 by Naptali Press
      > <http://www.naphtali.com/2009/11/17/cpp-to-publish-michael-bushells-the-\
      > songs-of-zion/> in an updated and augmented version. While that's a
      > ways off, it should be worth it. Bushell's title is still the premier
      > contemporary defense of psalmody imo, blackballed and blacklisted by
      > many modern moderate P&R churches and unanswered because it is
      > unanswerable.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic