16849[Covenanted Reformation] Re: the Covenanted Reformation

  • Pearl
    Dec 10, 2009
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@...>
      > >> 4. To endeavor to bring the 3 Kingdoms to the nearest conjunction
      and uniformity in religion, Confession of Faith, Form of Church
      Government, Directory for Worship and Catechizing.
      > >> (as a former plantation of Great Britain all Westminster accepting
      Reformed Churches in this nation are bound to our fathers covenants as
      their spiritual posterity and their visible representation as I
      understand it)

      > Great Britain was not a signatory to the Solemn League and Covenant.
      > England, Ireland and Scotland were.
      > There is a difference, and if you don't know what that was, you have
      > business posting to this question.
      Mr. Bump, in response to your inquiry I would thank you for correcting
      my misspeaking, if indeed I did. Which is possible. Please consider
      that I do fallibly understand what the Solemn League and Covenant is and
      that there were representatives of three nations that signed it. My
      understanding is that James the 6th of Scotland, became James the 1st of
      the 3 Kingdoms. He was a Stewart monarch bound by the National Covenant
      of Scotland and his son Charles the1st, bound by his father's covenant
      (National Covenant of Scotland) was then presiding over the 3 Kingdoms
      of Scotland, England and Ireland when they swore the Solemn League and
      Covenant renewing the covenant obligations of Scotland, and stating as
      the then chief magistrate of the United Kingdoms the additional
      obligation of the Solemn League and Covenant that now bound England and
      Ireland as well as Scotland in a continued purpose of establishing the
      true reformed religion among the nations on earth by a uniformity in
      doctrine, worship, government and discipline that the Lord's people
      would be one and his name one. In my fallible mind, I thought when I
      wrote 'Great Britain' I was referring to 3 distinct nations under one
      sovereign more accurately stated the United Kingdom(s).

      In the best interest of the three kingdoms the Westminster Assembly
      labored for that uniformity to be well defined. The Directory for
      Public Worship was penned at that time which encourages the national
      churches that one of the petitions to be included in Public pastoral
      prayer should be petitions for our plantations, because the nations were
      now under the obligation of uniformity in the true reformed religion
      which was but briefly professed by the house of Stewart (magistracy) and
      by many Independents, and Sectarians (representative Ministry at
      Westminster) many of whom contrary to their covenants joined the
      malignant party against their brethren, within a few short years. Three
      kingdoms as kingdoms who were under one monarch and one Church under one
      head the Lord Jesus Christ retaining their national identities as
      kingdoms raised their hand to Almighty God in an act of solemn worship
      and vowed on behalf of themselves and their posterity to support one
      another (ministry and magistracy, the king and his people, the ministry
      and those under their charge each in their place, calling and station)
      in a true work of Reformation thus binding themselves to God and one
      another. But the times and season are in the hands of our Sovereign
      Omnipotent God. If the magistrate had kept his part of the Covenant
      within his sphere, and the people theirs, the ministry their part and
      those under their charge, theirs, it would not have been said of the few
      that remained faithful in their places calling and stations those who
      both vowed and paid "When they were about to have finished their
      testimony the beast that ascended out of the bottomless pit shall make
      war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them." (Rev. 11:7)
      as was evidenced during the killing times in Scotland and further
      elucidated by Alexander Peden to an Irish brother before his death in
      historical testimony recorded for posterity. The Directory for Public
      Worship, an integral part of our Confession of Faith, states in the
      section entitled 'Of Publick Prayer before the Sermon'..."To pray for
      the propagation of the gospel and the kingdom of Christ to all nations;
      for the conversion of the Jews, the fullness of the Gentiles, the fall
      of Antichrist, the hastening of the second coming of our Lord; for
      deliverance for the distressed churches abroad from the tyranny of the
      anti christian faction, and from the cruel oppressions and blasphemies
      of the Turk; for the blessing of God upon the Reformed Churches and
      kingdoms of Scotland, England and Ireland now more strictly and
      religiously united in the Solemn National League and Covenant; and for
      'our' plantations in the remote parts of the world: more particularly
      for that church and kingdom whereof we are members, that therein God
      would establish peace and truth, the purity of his ordinances, the power
      of godliness; prevent and remove heresy, schism, profaneness,
      superstition,security, and unfruitfulness under the means of grace; heal
      all our rents and divisions, and preserve us from breach of our Solemn

      Do you now at least follow my fallible logic? I confess I am most
      probably ignorant of what you are referring to so I cannot comment
      further regarding your accusation. Hopefully now even though you may
      not agree with my fallible logic, you understand my position.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic