16722United States Constitution: Is It Biblical?

  • toratora1649
    May 4, 2009
      Greetings.

      I am having an amicable debate with a brother at the church I attend. I hope you can help me, by providing documentation and sound reasons to both of us. The question: Was the Constitution of the United States biblical?

      Many evangelicals believe that the Founding Fathers intended the Constitution to be biblical, and for the United States to be a Christian republic. They say that our political system has been hijacked by a series of rogue federal courts, so that the original intention has been thwarted. Therefore, part of the solution to the problem of an increasingly ungodly political system is to return to the intention of the Founding Fathers. Is it possible to refute this opinion with the words of the Founding Fathers themselves?

      Do you know of any books or articles that discuss this issue in detail? I would be especially interested in any such books or articles that quote Washington, Jefferson Franklin, Madison, et al., about their views of the above question. I seem to remember some words of George Washington to the sultan of Algiers (or some such personage) in which Washington explicitly denied that the United States is a Christian country. If I could document that quote, and if I could have a few more quotes of a similar sort, I think I could help my dear brother in Christ immensely.

      Thanks for your help.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic