      From: gmw <ragingcalvinist@...>
      To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:20:01 PM
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: The Real First Covenant: the Covenant of Redemption, explained by Dickson, pt1

      And thank you for your thoughts, Edgar.

      It is sometimes said that Calvinists are proud because they believe they are elect (and where this is indeed the case, it is to be condemned), but in considering the Covenant of Redemption, I am greatly humbled.

      I certainly did not, and do not, and will not ever, deserve to be treated the way the One True and Living God has treated me.

      That Christ would undertake to purchase me among other sinners, is mind-blowing, humbling, and reason to praise God and to live a life of thankfulness to Him.

      May the Lord give me the grace to do so!

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformati onclub@yahoogrou ps.com, "Ic Neltococayotl" <puritanpresbyteria n@...> wrote:

      > Jer,
      >
      > Thanks for the two posts!!
      >
      > You know when I stop and think about it, it so floors me! That God whom
      > WE have all offended and who justly has condemned us to everlasting
      > conscience punishment, also served Himself up as a propitiation to
      > redeem us and thereby have His people escape what WE justly deserve!
      > The Judge who condemned the convict, becomes the One who goes to the
      > gallows for the convict.
      >
      > The Father COVENANTED with the Son and the Holy Spirit to save His
      > people from this just judgment of eternal condemnation. All this not
      > because of anything good in us, but because of His mercy!!!
      >
      > Now that is a God of love and mercy!
      >
      > Amazing and Awesome!!
      >

      > The Gospel truly demonsrates the One true Faith!
      >
      > A sinner saved by His grace,
      >
      > Edgar
      >

      > --- In covenantedreformati onclub@yahoogrou ps.com, "gmw"
      > <ragingcalvinist@ > wrote:
      > >

      > > One aspect of the Covenant of Redemption that has fascinated me since
      > it first ocurred to me (from reading Patrick Gillespie many years ago),
      > is that Jesus Christ is party to the Covenant of Redemption as God the
      > Son (being God, the offended party), and as the God-man/Mediator (as the
      > party agreeing to purchase sinners).
      > >
      > > Any thoughts on this amazing aspect of the Covenant?
      > >
      > > gmw.
      > >
      > > --- In covenantedreformati onclub@yahoogrou ps.com, "gmw"
      > ragingcalvinist@ wrote:
      > > >

      > > > The real first Covenant is the Covenant of Redemption. David Dickson
      > explains the Covenant of Redemption spledidly in his Therapeuitica
      > Sacra, chapter IV.
      > > >
      > > > He begins by explaining what is meant by "Covenant," what is meant
      > by "Redemption, " and who are the parties thereof, and then explains what
      > is meant by this Covenant of Redemption.
      > > >
      > > > Dickson:
      > > >
      > > > "BECAUSE the healing of the sicknesses of the conscience cometh by a
      > right application of divine Covenants about our salvation: therefore it
      > is necessary, that some measure of the knowledge thereof be opened up.
      > > >
      > > > "1. A divine covenant we call, a contract or paction, wherein God is
      > at least the one party contracter. Of this sort of covenants about the
      > eternal salvation of men (which sort chiefly belong to our purpose)
      > there are three. The first is, the covenant of redemption, past between
      > God, and Christ God appointed Mediatour, before the world was, in the
      > council of the Trinity. The second is, the covenant of works, made
      > between God and men, in Adam in his integrity, endued with all natural
      > perfections, enabling him to keep it, so long as it pleased him to stand
      > to the condition. The third is, the covenant of grace and reconciliation
      > through Christ, made between God and believers (with their children) in
      > Christ.
      > > >
      > > > "2. As to the covenant of redemption; for clearing the matter, we
> [...]

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic