16713Re: The Real First Covenant: the Covenant of Redemption, explained by Dickson, pt1

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Mar 4 7:06 PM
      Jer,

      Thanks for the two posts!!

      You know when I stop and think about it, it so floors me! That God whom
      WE have all offended and who justly has condemned us to everlasting
      conscience punishment, also served Himself up as a propitiation to
      redeem us and thereby have His people escape what WE justly deserve!
      The Judge who condemned the convict, becomes the One who goes to the
      gallows for the convict.

      The Father COVENANTED with the Son and the Holy Spirit to save His
      people from this just judgment of eternal condemnation. All this not
      because of anything good in us, but because of His mercy!!!

      Now that is a God of love and mercy!

      Amazing and Awesome!!

      The Gospel truly demonsrates the One true Faith!

      A sinner saved by His grace,

      Edgar

      <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

      > One aspect of the Covenant of Redemption that has fascinated me since
      it first ocurred to me (from reading Patrick Gillespie many years ago),
      is that Jesus Christ is party to the Covenant of Redemption as God the
      Son (being God, the offended party), and as the God-man/Mediator (as the
      party agreeing to purchase sinners).

      > Any thoughts on this amazing aspect of the Covenant?
      >
      > gmw.
      >
      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
      ragingcalvinist@ wrote:

      > > The real first Covenant is the Covenant of Redemption. David Dickson
      explains the Covenant of Redemption spledidly in his Therapeuitica
      Sacra, chapter IV.

      > > He begins by explaining what is meant by "Covenant," what is meant
      by "Redemption," and who are the parties thereof, and then explains what
      is meant by this Covenant of Redemption.

      > > Dickson:
      > >
      > > "BECAUSE the healing of the sicknesses of the conscience cometh by a
      right application of divine Covenants about our salvation: therefore it
      is necessary, that some measure of the knowledge thereof be opened up.

      > > "1. A divine covenant we call, a contract or paction, wherein God is
      at least the one party contracter. Of this sort of covenants about the
      eternal salvation of men (which sort chiefly belong to our purpose)
      there are three. The first is, the covenant of redemption, past between
      God, and Christ God appointed Mediatour, before the world was, in the
      council of the Trinity. The second is, the covenant of works, made
      between God and men, in Adam in his integrity, endued with all natural
      perfections, enabling him to keep it, so long as it pleased him to stand
      to the condition. The third is, the covenant of grace and reconciliation
      through Christ, made between God and believers (with their children) in
      Christ.

      > > "2. As to the covenant of redemption; for clearing the matter, we
      must distinguish the sundry acceptions of the word redemption: for, (1.)
      Sometime it is taken for the contract and agreement of selling and
      buying-back to eternal salvation, of lost man, looked upon as in the
      state of sin and misery. In which sense, we are said to be bought by
      Christ, both souls and bodies, 1 Cor. 6.19,20, Ye are not your own; for
      ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in
      your spirit, which are God's. And this may be called redemption by
      paction and agreed bargain. (2.) Sometimes redemption is taken for the
      paying of the price agreed upon. In which sense, Christ is said to have
      redeemed us, by suffering of the punishment due to us, and ransoming of
      us, Gal 3.13, Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being
      made a curse for us. (3.) Sometime redemption is taken for the begun
      application of the benefits purchased in the covenant by the price paid,
      Eph. 1.7, In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the
      remission of sins, according to the riches of His grace. (4.) Sometime
      redemption is taken for the perfect and full possession of all the
      benefits agreed upon between the Father and Christ His Son the Mediator.
      In which sense, we are said to be sealed with the holy Spirit of
      promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance, until the redemption
      of the purchased possession, Ephes. 1.14. and Ephes. 4.30, it is said,
      Grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of
      redemption; which is the day of Judgment, when Christ shall put us in
      full possession of all the blessedness which He purchased by bargain and
      payment for us.

      > > "In this place we take redemption in the first sense, for the
      covenant past between the Father and Christ His Son, designed Mediatour,
      about our redemption.

      > > "3. When we name the Father as the one party and His Son Christ as
      the other party in this covenant, we do not seclude the Son and holy
      Spirit from being the party offended; but do look upon the Father, Son,
      and Spirit, one God in three Persons, as offended by man's sin; and yet
      all three contented to take satisfaction to divine justice for man's sin
      in the Person of the Son, as designed Mediatour, to be incarnate.
      Whereby the Son is both the party offended as God, one essentially with
      the Father and holy Spirit; and the party contracter also, as God
      designed Mediatour personally for redeeming man, who with consent of the
      Father and holy Spirit, from all eternity willed and purposed in the
      fullness of time, to assume the human nature in personal union with
      Himself, and for the elect's sake to become man, and to take the cause
      of the elect in hand, to bring them back to the friendship of God, and
      full enjoyment of felicity for evermore.

      > > "When therefore we make the Father the one party, and the Son
      designed mediatour the other party, speaking with the Scripture, for the
      more easy uptaking of the Covenant, let us look to one God in three
      Persons, having absolute right and sovereign power according to His own
      pleasure to dispose of men, looked upon as lying before God (to Whom all
      things are present) in sin and death, drawn on by man's own deserving,
      and yet for the glory of his grace resolving to save the elect, so as
      His justice shall be satisfied for them, in and by the second Person of
      the Trinity, the co-eternal and co-essential Son of the Father.

      > > "4. This covenant of redemption then may be thus described. It is a
      bargain, agreed upon between the Father and the Son designed Mediator,
      concerning the elect (lying with the rest of mankind in the state of sin
      and death, procured by their own merit) wisely and powerfully to be
      converted, sanctified and saved, for the Son of God's satisfaction and
      obedience (in our nature to be assumed by Him) to be given in due time
      to the Father, even unto the death of the cross.

      > > "In this bargain or agreement, the Scripture importeth clearly, a
      selling and a buying of the elect, Acts 20.28, Feed the Church of God,
      which He hath purchased by His own blood, 1 Cor. 6.20, ye are bought
      with a price, and 1 Pet. 1.18. The seller of the elect, is God; the
      buyer, is God incarnate; the persons bought, are the Church of the
      elect; the price, is the blood of God, to wit, the blood of Christ, who
      is God and man in one person.

      > > "This covenant of redemption, is in effect one with the eternal
      decree of redemption, wherein the salvation of the elect, and the way
      how it shall be brought about is fixed, in the purpose of God, who
      worketh all things according to the counsel of His own Will, as the
      Apostle sets it down, Eph. 1, unto the 15th verse.

      > > "And the decree of redemption is in effect a covenant, one God in
      three persons agreeing in the decree, that the second Person, God the
      Son, should be incarnate, and give obedience and satisfaction to divine
      justice for the elect: unto which piece of service the Son willingly
      submitting Himself, the decree becometh a real covenant indeed."

      > > Dickson next provides six proofs of the Covenant of Redemption,
      which (Lord willing), I shall post in the next day or so, depending on
      how much discussion this post prompts.

      > > gmw.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic