      From: "gmw" <ragingcalvinist@...>
      To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:43:44 AM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
      Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Los Angeles bound

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Charles Barden
      <cbarden@...> wrote:

      > I am confused...I thought the call came from God and not from me.

      So if I show up among a group of people and say, "God called me to be
      your pastor," such a call is sufficient for you to submit to such a
      ministry?

      > You are right when you say "this is so nauseatingly presbyterian". >
      Legalism and clanging gongs.

      You should now define legalism. You should also now show why
      accurately articulating the Scriptural model of the calling to the
      ministry is what you call legalism and the clanging of gongs.

      gmw.

      > In Christ,
      > Charles

      process goes in a way that is for God's glory.

      > For everyone else, this is all so nauseatingly presbyterian. Surely
      there are more profitable things to expend our energy on than this.

      > -Ben
      >

      > On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Glenn Ferrell < jglennferrell@... >
      wrote:

      > Edgar:
      >
      > A minister, elder or candidate for a call should be careful not to
      use language presuming what is not yet real. Though Nathan is probalby
      speaking out of the excitement and anticipation of a move and future
      ministry, he can not under current RPCNA polity have accepted a call.

      Boise, Idaho http://sovereignredeemer.org

> [...]
      > ordination
      > > and installation all at the same time. It puts an undue
      expectation to
      > > vote "sustained" upon the elders at the meeting, and violates a
      > > scriptural principle.
      >
      > But Larry, can he and we in general not plan for such and such an
      event?
      > Of course as the Lord wills, but can things not be scheduled to be
      done,
      > and in this specific case, things accomplished without the expectation
      > that the outcome can only be one result? If elders are feeling
      > pressured to vote one way, then shame on them if they cave in to that
      > pressure, but I do not think that is the fault of the whole per se
      > especially of the candidate. In the end there is always a pressure to
      > vote the party line or what the majority holds instead of voting
      > according to what one's conscience believes to be according to God's
      > Word.
      >
      > Just a thought, no more.
      >
      > Edgar
      >
      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com , Larry Bump <lbump@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
      > > > Nathan:
      > > >
      > > > Where is the RP Church in LA. I lived in the LA area for five
      years.
      > > > It is not an easy place for an Easterner to live; but there were
      > some
      > > > things I liked about it, especially the weather in January.
      > > >
      > > > I might caution you on your non-Presbyterian language used in
      > > > describing your call. Can one under RPCNA polity "accept a call"
      > > > before it and you have been approved by presbytery?
      > > >
      > > Technically he has not been certified eligible to receive a call, and
      > if
      > > he was actually forwarded a call by Presbytery someone messed up;
      > > licentiates are not to be given a call.
      > > He may have been informed of an intended call, and given an intent to
      > > accept it; but he really should not have been called and cannot
      accept
      > > it; especially since he has not passed his final examinations. I have
      > > never been comfortable with the practice of scheduling exams,
      > ordination
      > > and installation all at the same time. It puts an undue
      expectation to
      > > vote "sustained" upon the elders at the meeting, and violates a
      > > scriptural principle.
      > > James 4:13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow £we will
      > go to such
      > > and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a
      > profit";
      > > 14whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your
      > > life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then
      > > vanishes away. 15Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we
      > shall
      > > live and do this or that." 16But now you boast in your arrogance.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic