16608Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Los Angeles bound

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Dec 3, 2008
      > James 4:13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow £we will
      go to such
      > and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a
      profit";
      > 14whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your
      > life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then
      > vanishes away. 15Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we
      shall
      > live and do this or that." 16But now you boast in your arrogance.
      All
      > such boasting is evil.
      >

      > He may have been informed of an intended call, and given an intent to
      > accept it; but he really should not have been called and cannot accept
      > it; especially since he has not passed his final examinations. I have
      > never been comfortable with the practice of scheduling exams,
      ordination
      > and installation all at the same time. It puts an undue expectation to
      > vote "sustained" upon the elders at the meeting, and violates a
      > scriptural principle.

      But Larry, can he and we in general not plan for such and such an event?
      Of course as the Lord wills, but can things not be scheduled to be done,
      and in this specific case, things accomplished without the expectation
      that the outcome can only be one result? If elders are feeling
      pressured to vote one way, then shame on them if they cave in to that
      pressure, but I do not think that is the fault of the whole per se
      especially of the candidate. In the end there is always a pressure to
      vote the party line or what the majority holds instead of voting
      according to what one's conscience believes to be according to God's
      Word.

      Just a thought, no more.

      Edgar

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@...>
      wrote:

      > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
      > > Nathan:
      > >
      > > Where is the RP Church in LA. I lived in the LA area for five years.
      > > It is not an easy place for an Easterner to live; but there were
      some
      > > things I liked about it, especially the weather in January.
      > >
      > > I might caution you on your non-Presbyterian language used in
      > > describing your call. Can one under RPCNA polity "accept a call"
      > > before it and you have been approved by presbytery?
      > >
      > Technically he has not been certified eligible to receive a call, and
      if
      > he was actually forwarded a call by Presbytery someone messed up;
      > licentiates are not to be given a call.
      > He may have been informed of an intended call, and given an intent to
      > accept it; but he really should not have been called and cannot accept
      > it; especially since he has not passed his final examinations. I have
      > never been comfortable with the practice of scheduling exams,
      ordination
      > and installation all at the same time. It puts an undue expectation to
      > vote "sustained" upon the elders at the meeting, and violates a
      > scriptural principle.
      > James 4:13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow £we will
      go to such
      > and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a
      profit";
      > 14whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your
      > life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then
      > vanishes away. 15Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we
      shall
      > live and do this or that." 16But now you boast in your arrogance.
      All
      > such boasting is evil.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic