16607Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Los Angeles bound

  • Larry Bump
    Dec 3, 2008
      Glenn Ferrell wrote:
      > Nathan:
      >
      > Where is the RP Church in LA. I lived in the LA area for five years.
      > It is not an easy place for an Easterner to live; but there were some
      > things I liked about it, especially the weather in January.
      >
      > I might caution you on your non-Presbyterian language used in
      > describing your call. Can one under RPCNA polity "accept a call"
      > before it and you have been approved by presbytery?

      Technically he has not been certified eligible to receive a call, and if
      he was actually forwarded a call by Presbytery someone messed up;
      licentiates are not to be given a call.
      He may have been informed of an intended call, and given an intent to
      accept it; but he really should not have been called and cannot accept
      it; especially since he has not passed his final examinations. I have
      never been comfortable with the practice of scheduling exams, ordination
      and installation all at the same time. It puts an undue expectation to
      vote "sustained" upon the elders at the meeting, and violates a
      scriptural principle.
      James 4:13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow £we will go to such
      and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”;
      14whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your
      life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then
      vanishes away. 15Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall
      live and do this or that.” 16But now you boast in your arrogance. All
      such boasting is evil.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic