16493Re: Frame, Smith, Oliver and Needham

  • bob_suden
    Aug 18 11:18 PM
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Coldwell" <naphtali@...> wrote:

      > Bob,
      > On the editorial decision making for Westminster 21st century; can't
      > say. It may be "we takes what we can gets."

      Sad, very sad - and inexcusable. L. Duncan was the editor for RAP '94 edition of  Carruthers' Everyday Work of the WAssembly, one chapter of which was actually entitled "The Metrical Psalms". But if you can't bother reading "Of Singing of Psalms" in the Directory for Public Worship, why let anything else get in your way?

      >I hear that, though the
      > parameters of CPJ safeguard it significantly. On Needham, yes, for its
      > length it is surprisingly off the mark (not just in its conclusion but
      > in its method). Mr. Winzer does a fine job taking Needham's case apart
      > in considerably less space.

      It is not that hard to do, though I haven't seen too many attempts. After all, Luther at first thought Erasmus was rather ridiculous on free will and wasn't going to bother.

      The large Puritan work is Cawdrey and
      > Palmer's Sabbatum Redivivum (1645; 1652) in four parts. No, I have not
      > heard anything about the Bowles (the Ryken project right?); but such
      > things take a long time.

      Ryken at one time told me it was on hold, but I saw an excerpt reprinted somewhere and figured you might be in the know.

      >On Dr. Smith's take on Frame, I suspect I'm
      > not giving anything away if I say that the review is not favorable.

      I would suspect as much. How could it be?
      FWIW the Table of Contents for   Frame's latest, Doct. of the Chr. Life  is  here, but the links are dead.

      thanks,

      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden"
      > bsuden@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks, Chris.
      > >
      > > It will be interesting to see what Smith makes of Frame's latest.
      > > Re: "the text of a large Puritan work which needs editing for
      > > publication". As in Oliver Bowles' Treatise on the Evangelical Pastor?
      > > And if not, do you know anything about how that project is progressing?
      > > Re: the baptist Needham essay on the WCF, psalmody and hymns in the WCF
      > > in the 21st Century what was L. Duncan thinking? Are the PCA southern
      > > presbyterians nominating him as a champion or a sacrificial lamb?

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic