16462Re: Sum of saving knowledge question...

  • truepresbyterian
    Jul 22, 2008
      Dear GMW,

      I think you have understood the statement correctly. Perhaps the word
      "dispensed" might lead to some confusion, as if what was referred to
      was the dispensing of means by the Church, whereas the context makes
      fairly clear that what is meant is the appointment of ordinances by
      God, whose wisdom in the design thereof far excels the wisdom of the
      ministry in the actual dispensing of those ordinances.

      So in our day especially the reprobate might seem to have more excuse
      for stumbling given the general unfaithfulness of the ministry; but in
      point of fact the "general unfaithfulness of the ministry" is also to
      be (in part) blamed on them. Yet still, the ordinances and means of
      salvation appointed by God are in themselves such as give none
      occasion to stumble or turn from God. The reprobate themselves are
      given all of the same reasons as the elect to repent, to believe, to
      turn unto the Lord.

      This point is well maintained in Beza's work on Predestination:

      http://www.truecovenanter.com/supralapsarian/bezas_table.html

      And Samuel Rutherford, in his Trial and Triumph of Faith, also notes
      an important distinction related to the discussion, so as to avoid
      confusion between the indiscriminating nature of the Gospel's address
      to sinners (elect and reprobate) on the one hand, and the perfectly
      discriminating nature of God's purpose in providentially bringing the
      Gospel to sinners (elect and reprobate), some of whom are intended to
      be saved thereby, while others he justly intends to harden.

      See in sermon #12: "He offereth, in the gospel, life to all, so they
      believe; and God mindeth to work faith, and intendeth to bestow life
      on a few only; like a king's son coming to a prison of condemned men,
      with offered pardons to all, upon condition they accept of them; but
      yet he singleth out some, and persuadeth them to lay hold on the
      Father's grace; and by the head taketh them out, and leaveth all the
      rest to justice. Yet is it no greater mystery than this, "Many are
      called, but few are chosen." So Christ's sending with his commission,
      cometh under a two-fold notion: one is, in the intention of the
      Evangel; the other is, in the intention of him who proposeth the
      Evangel to men,—I mean, God's intention to give faith and effectual
      grace." etc.

      A precious subject for humbling spiritual meditation.

      True Presbyterian