16431Re: How To Spot Trolls

  • Tim Cunningham
    Apr 11, 2008
      The question is what to do after you have spotted them.
      And an ancient Chinese sage has some helpful advice here.
      Ignore them. It is the most fitting punishment for such people and
      the one they are least fitted to endure.
      Blessings
      Tim

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden"
      <bsuden@...> wrote:

      > Not with a round paintbrush.
      >
      > A number of people have received a series of emails lately from an
      > inhabitant of the land of wooden shoes.
      > It is our contention that said individual is a troll.
      > The reason for this is very simple.
      > From the very start, chief among the criticisms has been the remark
      > that 'you do not know where in the Book of Revelation you are',
      which is
      > in relation to the Pope and historicism.
      > What seems to be the non sequitur building upon this knowledge is
      that
      > since the RPNA(GM) opposes the pope, any criticisms of the court of
      the
      > RPNA(GM) are treasonous to the covenanter cause.
      >
      > Yet one, our zealous pounder of keyboards cannot be bothered to
      spell
      > out exactly where in the Book of Revelation time frame (he thinks)
      we
      > are.
      > But it sure makes a good stick to beat people with and that's all
      the
      > really counts in a troll's bent little world.
      >
      > Of course, if this Book of Revelation time frame is elementary
      > knowledge for true covenanters, that is all the more reason to
      spell it
      > out. What it is and then its significance.
      >
      > But trolls have no time for that. They have more important things
      to do.
      > Like lurk under bridges peering at the computer screen waiting for
      the
      > next hapless idiot to pounce on and denounce vociferously. Focusing
      on
      > failure from the first is the edifying MO. (No one would ever
      mistake a
      > troll for a shepherd.) And only one thing is important: The now
      defunct
      > court of the RPNA(GM) agreed with the Reformation consensus that the
      > Pope is the Antichrist. To the Troll, that is carte blanche for that
      > court to do whatever they please, even discard or ignore jus divinum
      > presbyterianism. And if you don't think so or are even so bold as
      > say no thanks, the Troll will certainly let you know about it.
      > But of course, our droll and congenial correspondent himself
      refrained
      > from joining the RPNA(GM) and subjecting himself to the
      international
      > presbytery/session. Funny how that works. I think it is called
      > professional immunity. But if it works for affidavits, analogies and
      > phony lawyers, why not for trolls?
      >
      > Until Bilbo shows up and turns him into stone, Block Sender ought
      to do
      > the trick for any anti-papist ogres with papal tendencies and an
      over
      > heated internet connection. Sad, but a necessary practice until
      saner
      > and sounder doctrine prevails among those who live under bridges in
      the
      > land of wooden tennis shoes.
      >
      > Yes, I know. Some from the Troll Humanitarian Society (NAAT, SPCT?)
      will
      > say sarcasm is so unkind, so unChristian. Consequently I close
      with
      > with a quote or two from Pascal's famous Letter to the Jesuits, who
      > protested his ridicule of them.
      >

      > "And so far from its being impious to laugh at them, St. Augustine
      > holds it to be the effect of divine wisdom: "The wise laugh at the
      > foolish, because they are wise, not after their own wisdom, but
      after
      > that divine wisdom which shall laugh at the death of the wicked."
      >
      > "For, according to St. Augustine, "charity may sometimes oblige
      > us to ridicule the errors of men, that they may be induced to laugh
      at
      > them in their turn, and renounce them."
      > http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/p/pascal/blaise/p27pr/part12.html
      >
      > And no, Dennis, regardless of what Pascal was, Augustine was not a
      > papist
      > and yes, your behavior really is that ridiculous.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > cordially in Christ,
      > Bob S

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic