16125Re: continuous singing

    Nov 2, 2007
      Wow, I did not know this. Thanks for the info, Glenn.

      As a tie-together, there was a recent post of interest in the Songs of
      Zion Psalmody group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongsofZion/ run by
      Rev. Ferrell, pointing to a article about the accuracy of the Scottish
      Metrical Psalter:
      http://www.reformation-scotland.org.uk/articles/development-of-scottish-psalter.php

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell
      <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

      > I grew up in the Appalachian region of Eastern Kentucky.
      Interestingly, the Primitive (Calvinistic) Baptists and some other
      groups still line out their sung praise. They do not sing Psalms, but
      the lining out sounds much like Scottish Highlanders singing Gaelic
      Psalmody. Probably left over from the Ulster Scots who settled this
      region. These folks follow the tradition of their fathers without
      knowing why or where it is from. If one could introduce them to the
      Psalms, I wonder if they'd take to them.

      Church, Boise, Idaho http://sermonaudio.com/reformationidaho

      > To: covenantedreformationclub@...: ragingcalvinist@...: Fri, 2 Nov
      2007 14:25:12 +0000Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] continuous
      singing

      > Just to be more clear (the last time I said something that
      soundedlike I disagreed with historic covenanter principles, my name
      appearedin an e-publication amongst a list of people abandoning the
      Covenantermovement!)... Writings from people like David Steele aren't
      alwayshelpful for the current times, as much of what he wrote was
      aimed atpeople who had always practiced such-and-such, and for good
      reason,but now are beginning to abandon such-and-such, and for not
      good reasons.In other words, a piece of polemic against those scheming
      to abandon apractice like lining-out, is not the most helpful sort of
      document forconvincing one why they should start lining-out if they
      never heard ofit before.I'm for lining-out, as I think there are many
      good reasons for it. But I wouldn't start my discussion of lining-out
      by throwing DavidSteele at someone right off the bat!gmw (who lives in
      Cleona now, EVEN CLOSER to you!)--- In
      covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jasper<jasperh98@> wrote:>>
      Jerry, thank you. I appreciate your candid answer, which
      hasimplications. Anyone else willing to be helpful?> > Jasper> > >
      ----- Original Message ----> From: Jerry <ragingcalvinist@>> To:
      covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, November 1,
      2007 7:36:00 PM> Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] continuous
      singing> > Jasper,> > When I'm in public worship, or family worship
      for that matter, weline out. The children are able to participate that
      way, as is mywife who is often holding one or more children in her
      lap, unable tohold a Psalter. > > When I sing all by my loneseome, I
      don't read the line first unlessI'm trying to memorize it.> > I've not
      always been impressed by ~all~ of the sentiments of olderRP's on this
      subject -- understand, I'm not against the practice oflining-out. It's
      just that some of the ways things have been statedcan make it sound
      like a regulative principle thing or something. It's a charity thing
      is what it is.> > Lining out helps the blind guy, the little kid, the
      busy mom,participate in the singing.> > gmw.> > > Jasper wrote: >
      Folks, would you please advise me on whether there is varying
      orconsistent practice among Covenantors today regarding
      "continuoussinging" (not lining out the psalms)? And, whether practice
      changesbetween public and private worship. I do realize that
      currentpractice is not a determinant factor on what the Scriptures
      teach; butmy question is prompted by some writings of some older
      Covenantors. Thanks for your help.> > Jasper> > Visit Your Group >
      Yahoo! News> Kevin Sites> Get coverage of> world crises.> New
      business?> Get new customers.> List your web site> in Yahoo! Search.>
      HDTV Support> on Yahoo! Groups> Help with Samsung> HDTVs and devices.
      Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection
      around > http://mail.yahoo.com>

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic