      From: gmw <ragingcalvinist@...>
      To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, November 2, 2007 10:25:12 AM
      Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] continuous singing

      Just to be more clear (the last time I said something that sounded
      like I disagreed with historic covenanter principles, my name appeared
      in an e-publication amongst a list of people abandoning the Covenanter
      movement!).. . Writings from people like David Steele aren't always
      helpful for the current times, as much of what he wrote was aimed at
      people who had always practiced such-and-such, and for good reason,
      but now are beginning to abandon such-and-such, and for not good reasons.

      In other words, a piece of polemic against those scheming to abandon a
      practice like lining-out, is not the most helpful sort of document for
      convincing one why they should start lining-out if they never heard of
      it before.

      I'm for lining-out, as I think there are many good reasons for it.
      But I wouldn't start my discussion of lining-out by throwing David
      Steele at someone right off the bat!

      gmw (who lives in Cleona now, EVEN CLOSER to you!)

      --- In covenantedreformati onclub@yahoogrou ps.com, Jasper
      <jasperh98@. ..> wrote:

      > Jerry, thank you. I appreciate your candid answer, which has
      implications. Anyone else willing to be helpful?

      > Jasper

      matter, we
      line out. The children are able to participate that way, as is my
      wife who is often holding one or more children in her lap, unable to
      hold a Psalter.

      > When I sing all by my loneseome, I don't read the line first unless
      I'm trying to memorize it.

      > I've not always been impressed by ~all~ of the sentiments of older
      RP's on this subject -- understand, I'm not against the practice of
      lining-out. It's just that some of the ways things have been stated
      can make it sound like a regulative principle thing or something.
      It's a charity thing is what it is.

      > Lining out helps the blind guy, the little kid, the busy mom,
      participate in the singing.

      > gmw.
      >

      > Jasper wrote:
      > Folks, would you please advise me on whether there is varying or
      consistent practice among Covenantors today regarding "continuous
      singing" (not lining out the psalms)? And, whether practice changes
      between public and private worship. I do realize that current
      practice is not a determinant factor on what the Scriptures teach; but
      my question is prompted by some writings of some older Covenantors.
      Thanks for your help.

      > Jasper
      >
      > Visit Your Group
      > Yahoo! News