15996Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Sure got quiet

  • simon_padbury
    Aug 1, 2007
      Hi Deejay,

      Hey, I'm writing an email to you on a group other than your own
      group, for a change!

      <crazy_calvinist@...> wrote:

      > I am dipping in and out of (amongst other things) John Flavels'
      > practical treatise on fear. That's very good too.

      A modern Covenanter reading a Puritan's book about the fear of the
      Lord. That just has to be an excellent thing! A Scottish friend of
      mine wrote a catechism on the fear of the lord -- I may paste it in a
      subsequent email if I can find it. (That is, if I get, hmm, 3 people
      here saying they would like to see it!)

      Hmm. Covenant. Fear of the Lord. This reminds me of Psalm 25:14.
      Would that we all got really excited and awed by that Covenant.
      Perhaps if we're not, it's because we haven't held it in view (in
      front of the eye of faith) lately.

      > I'm not sure how to say this well. But, like you mentioned your
      raging
      > Calvinist edge is dying off. I am NOT directing at you personallly,
      so
      > don't misunderstand, you know I think you're one of the good
      guys.but
      > you're saying that just reminded me..but can't help but wonder if
      that
      > happens to lots of folks, because they get caught up in life.

      I think what Jerry means is, not that he's had enough of standing up
      for what's right, i.e., for Christ; but that he now doesn't wish so
      much these days that he had a sword in his hand! There's nothing
      wrong with being a man of peace, of course. I think Jerry might be
      onto something here. He wants to come out of the battles of the Lord,
      not only stronger, but with more troops by his side than what he went
      in with.

      I've been thinking too, about this idea that "getting caught up in
      life" can be a distraction from the things of God. We (I'm not
      getting at you) need to be careful about what we're saying here. Only
      the things which we cannot do for God's glory are those which ought
      not to be done; and those things which we can do for God's glory
      (which includes so much of the stuff of "life"), ought to be done for
      his glory. Put it like this, and nothing that's not wrong can be done
      for God, and need not therefore be a distraction from God. Indeed,
      the stuff of "life" if done for God's glory *is* the things of God.
      That, I think, is what the "Protestant work ethic" is all about.

      Trouble is, we have to overcome the way of thinking, which thinks
      that when we get up from our knees after our morning devotions, we've
      then exited the presence of God and moved to another compartment of
      our life, in which we've got to get on with doing the mundane,
      worldly stuff of "life" (whatever that might be for each of us --
      "whether ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do").

      Don't "get caught up in life" -- get "life" caught up in a godly
      walk. Huh, you know what I mean, I hope! A Puritan could have put it
      a lot better -- and probably did!

      > They no
      > longer have the time for private reading orthings of God or
      Scripture or
      > things of God in general. Life and its riches (or in some cases
      curses)
      > over takes them so that standing up for truth or just putting God
      first
      > in the first fruits of thing.. . becomes less done.. as they may
      not be
      > practically able to give God they once used to, as the time they
      gave
      > Him at one time has been squeezed out in favour of other things of
      their
      > own lives or interests or pursuits. I read something the weekend,
      even,
      > about how even our family should never come before giving God His
      due..
      > this may not be the kind of edifying topic you had in mind. But If
      you
      > look at the lives of the puritans, they often gave God so much in
      terms
      > of time, while meeting their familes needs, and their flocks, it
      would
      > often cost them health at times, because they were so sedentary, in
      > writing, reading and their own personal worshipping of God.

      I don't think the Puritans gave to their families, employment, those
      bits of their day which they didn't give to God. I think its more
      like: they gave the whole to God, and put God first in each,
      er, 'sphere'.

      > Its the only blessing as I can see in the here and now of my own
      > personal affliction. That when life is barren of the good things in
      > life.. you will always have time still for God. Not because I'm
      any
      > better than busier folks, but just circumstnaces dictate it.

      If your idea is right, then perhaps we should each and all be
      thinking, "Would that I had Deejay's illness, then I would not have
      to work, or look after family, and I could devote my whole day to
      God." I used to think like that. Except that I didn't want Deejay's
      illness, I wanted a pastorate; then I wouldn't have to go out to
      work! :o) But now, I'm sorry but I cannot agree with you, Deejay, on
      this. No disrespect intended toward you at all.

      Kind regards,

      Simon.
      Psalm 25:14.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic