15831Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Terms of Communion

  • truepresbyterian
    Jun 6, 2007
      Dear Mr. Ferrell,

      As for number 1: "One must affirm all six of these before he is
      allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church." This is implied
      by what is meant. The word "Communion" can refer to an ecclesiastical
      communion, that is, a church body; or it can refer to the Lord's
      Supper. The Terms of Communion are conditions for joining and
      remaining part of the Communion. Consequently, they are also
      conditions for taking part in Communion. What the Lord's Supper
      signifies is more important than the Lord's Supper itself. It would
      only be legalistic hypocrisy if we guarded a ceremony more than we
      guarded the reality it signifies.

      As for number 2: "A Covenanter would not receive communion in a
      congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms."
      Incorrect. It does mean that a Covenanter will not receive communion
      or re-unite in communion with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church
      (RPCNA, etc.) until it returns to the original RP Terms of Communion.
      Until then such "Reformed Presbyterian" Churches are guilty of
      backsliding and defection. We will not join them in that course. But
      we will receive communion in any congregation with which we can join
      in membership as part of their ecclesiastical community.

      We will receive communion in any faithful, scriptural church, teaching
      true doctrine, practicing true worship, excercising biblical
      discipline (which will affect their Terms of Communion.) We do not
      pretend that the deed at Auchensaugh, done by a small, (but faithful,)
      fellowship of Christians, of itself obliges anyone outside that
      communion. But note that our Terms of Communion only require that one
      recognize that the Renovation was "agreeable to the word of God." We
      would expect other faithful Presbyterians to agree to this if they
      examined the deed. And as for the Covenants, we do not imagine that
      they oblige any outside the ecclesiastical and civil bodies, as well
      as private families and individuals represented by them. A faithful
      Church could form without any knowledge of them. But, for those civil
      and ecclesiastic bodies, and families and individuals, who are bound,
      we have a duty to prosecute the ends of these Covenants wherever we
      are. If joining a Church would mean violating these Covenants, then
      the rule against occasional hearing necessitates that we abstain from
      using any ministerial ordinances from such ecclesiastical communions.

      Of course, the practical realities are, that there is no
      non-Reformed-Presbyterian church that any Covenanter has ever seen
      which adheres to such principles and practices as Covenanters can
      approve. And while hypothetical situations can be proposed where a
      Church might take existence on a footing that is Scriptural, in the
      Covenanter sense, and yet historically unrelated to the Covenanter
      Church of Scotland, certain realities lead us away from expecting
      this. For one thing, (as I recently said to someone else,) true
      Christians love Church history. If someone comes to believe in the
      regulative principle of worship, and the duty of dissenting from the
      authority of the US and other "governments" as having only the "power"
      and "authority" mentioned in Rev. 13.2 (and not that in Rom. 13,) then
      that person is going to want to know about the other Christians in
      history who agreed with him. We expect therefore that the faithful
      Christians and pastors scattered here and there, who are by God's
      grace brought to believe the truths of the Reformation, will seek
      association with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church, and find therein
      standards of doctrine and practice that they can approve.

      If they can draft a Confession of Faith better than the Westminster
      Confession, we will be glad to see it in a list of Terms of Communion.
      Perhaps some people think there are better Confessions. At this point
      however, Covenanters are not persuaded that the world has ever seen a
      better Confession. But we will be as happy as anyone else when that
      day comes.

      So, in summary, to answer your questions:

      Technically:
      1. Yes, and it means something more general too.
      2. No.

      Practically:
      1. Yes.
      2. Yes, for now.

      I hope these considerations are helpful to you, and to other well
      meaning Covenanters who may have been misled about some of these things.

      True Presbyterian

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Ferrell"
      <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

      > By terms of communion, am I to understand:
      >
      > 1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive
      communion in a Covenanter church?

      > 2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that
      did not also affirm all six of these terms?

      > One, two or both?
      >
      > Glenn
      >
      > J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church,
      Boise, Idaho

      covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com<mailto:covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com>

      > Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:08 PM
      > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Terms of Communion
      >

      > Sure thing, Glenn.
      >
      > The Six Terms of Communion:
      >
      > 1. An acknowledgment of the Old and New Testament to be the word
      of God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

      > 2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith,
      and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and
      founded upon, the Scriptures.

      > 3. That presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are
      alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect model
      of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of Government and
      Directory For Worship, adopted by the Church of Scotland in the Second
      Reformation.

      > 4. That public, social covenanting, is an ordinance of God,
      obligatory on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the
      National Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this
      divine institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation
      upon the moral person; and in consistency with this—that the
      Renovation of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, 1712, was agreeable to
      the word of God.

      > 5. An approbation of the faithful contendings of the martyrs of
      Jesus, especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy,
      Malignancy and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian
      tolerations and persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial
      Testimony emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761,
      and adopted by this church, with supplements; as containing a noble
      example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and in
      testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions of
      either churches or states.

      > 6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Savior, by walking
      in all his commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

      > gmw.
      >
      > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
      >
      > I know they may be found online. However, for discussion sake,
      could one of you post the six terms of communion used by Covenanters?