15817Re: New Topic: Our Children.

  • Deejay
    Jun 5, 2007

      I have a thought on this a bit, but not sure if it's valid or not.  But, you said:

      What if God doesn't provide? What would it mean? If He doesn't provide does it mean that our convictions are wrong and we're just suffering the just desserts of being so exclusive?

      I think the annals of Christian history say much about this.  Right from Christ down to the apostles, down to the martyrs.  I don't think its anything to do per se, (only as far as Scripture predicts a life of want and sorrow, for Christians) with being too exclusive,  in the way you mean. But I do think godliness,  comes at a price, whether its Apostles, the martyrs or the pinncacle of Godliness in Christ himself, just for being in the world, but being different to the world—and lets face it gel, mainstream Christianity, can be and often is very liberal and  man centred—and because of how extreme it can be, I really don't think two can walk together very well, at least in my experience, because they disagree about so much.  I know its nothing to do with the children thing, I just speaking about the exclusivity aspect.

      ~Deejay

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Wilkinson" <gpyp@...> wrote:

      > Is anyone else here interested in discussing the peculiar temptations/trials
      > of covenanter children (esp. the older ones) and the peculiar
      > temptations/trials for covenanter parents that flow from them? We have
      > various struggles in our family due to being covenanters and I have noticed
      > over time that many covenanter families seem to struggle to stay covenanters
      > at least in part because of the state of their children or perhaps their
      > fears for their children if they don't "do something" else. For instance, we
      > have older children now who are interested in marrying-they can't just trot
      > down to the local church hoping to meet a potential mate. That is a trial
      > for them and for us as parents. It is a trial that, given time, could very
      > easily turn into a temptation to compromise or altogether abandon our
      > principles in search of relief. There is temptation to fear for both our
      > children and us. What if God doesn't provide? What would it mean? If He
      > doesn't provide does it mean that our convictions are wrong and we're just
      > suffering the just desserts of being so exclusive? These and many other
      > things are what I'd like to see discussed here.
      >

      > I am particularly interested in exploring these questions:
      >

      > Philosophically how should we view the "extra" trials that our children
      > endure and that we endure (i.e. above mainstream Christianity) because of
      > them? I think how we view those trials is critical.
      >
      > How can we increase our own patience in trials that we may be better
      > equipped to help our children in theirs?
      >
      > How can we practically help our children in order to minimize their
      > temptations?
      >

      > Anyone up for it? Perhaps we can help or encourage one another.
      >

      > Susan

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic