15531Re: Secret Society Paper

  • Julian Gress
    Apr 1, 2007
      Well said, brother.

      I have been finishing up the Old Testament recently, and found a
      great verse, Zephaniah 3:9, "For then will I turn to the people a
      pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to
      serve him with one consent." This verse encourages me because in it
      the Lord promises to make his church united in doctrine, worship,
      government, and discipline, such that we may all serve the one Lord
      as one body through one spirit.

      I for one do not understand what some brethren mean they call the
      RPNA (GM) a "cult." I once heard with reference to the "one true
      church syndrome," but this objection has been thoroughly dealt with
      before.

      First, "true" as to the essence of the church, or as to the nature
      or structure of the church, true as being or as to well-being? The
      accusation is entirely out of order unless this detail is included.

      Second, every church under heaven proclaims that it is the one true
      church, by maintaining separation from other churches.

      Third, there is and can only be one true church as to well-being, so
      that there is no absurdity in professing one's own church to be that
      church (for imagine one professing his church not to be the one true
      church, faithful and well-established). Either a church is faithful
      in doctrine, worship, government, discipline, or it is not. If the
      first, then it is obliged to unite with other churches of the same,
      and if it does not do this, it is no longer a faithful church. And
      if the second is true, then it is no true church as to well-being.
      So if there are a number of true churches as to well-being, then
      they will faithfully into one true church. And they will maintain
      separation from ill or diseased churches (I mean unfaithful ones),
      which do not add to the number of healthy churches. Hence there is
      and can be only one true church.

      So if the word "cult," is applied to us as meaning that we profess
      to be the only true church, then the objection has lost its entire
      savor, and is no objection at all, for it points toward no sin in or
      among us.

      Perhaps someone on this forum means something different by it? I
      will gladly hear whatever arguments you have to put forth against us
      being a "cult" and sincerely endeavor to satisfy your questions and
      objections, as I am able.

      On a separate note, I am aware that several faithful members of the
      RPNA (GM) have left this forum because of the condemnation our
      church has received. To avoid all confusion, I merely want to point
      out that I do not see any obligation to leave this forum in order to
      be faithful to the covenanted testimony we as a church hold, and
      this is my reason: in this forum, there is no necessary obligation
      to recognize one opinion or another, because it is granted by the
      nature of this forum that there may be disagreements. Of course, I
      do not intend to have familiar fellowship with any who have been
      excommunicated from the RPNA (GM), or to violate any of my other God-
      given duties. But unless someone points out a reason otherwise,
      something that I have missed, or unless there is a change in
      constitution of this forum that necessitates me to violate my oath
      of membership in the RPNA (GM), I do not see any necessary reason to
      leave.

      Your brother and servant in the Lord,
      Julian R. Gress (RPNA-GM)

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Walt Bre