14314Re: Covenanter Groups

  • sn_phillip
    Jan 16, 2006
      I know that the RPNA lists "Reformation Principles Exhibited" as
      being among its subordinate standards, whereas
      David Steele himself later repudiated this document.

      Where did you get this information about David Steele Repudiating
      this Document? I would like to know so that I can read about it myself

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sean McDonald"
      <kaalvenist@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      > <kaalvenist@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > What are those differences? I have heard headcoverings, movies,
      > and
      > > > birth control put forth so far. Is there nothing more
      > substantial
      > > > than these? I know that the RPNA lists "Reformation Principles
      > > > Exhibited" as being among its subordinate standards, whereas
      > David
      > > > Steele himself later repudiated this document. It also seems
      > obvious
      > > > to me that when earlier authors spoke of "terms of communion,"
      > they
      > > > were not speaking merely of terms of "table fellowship" (which
      > seems
      > > > to be all this phrase means for the RPNA), but of terms of
      > church
      > > > membership. Are these some of the issues between the RPNA and
      > the
      > > > original group? Are there any other issues?
      > >
      > > I personally am ignorant about how David Steele viewed that
      > document, so I cannot comment on that. As for the "Terms of
      > Communion", those are the terms for a brother/sister to come to the
      > Lord's Table and partake of Communion. To be a member of the RPNA,
      > one needs to profess Christ and etc. To be able to come to the
      > Lord's Supper it entails more than a profession of faith, but
      > agreement with the Biblical doctrines that Presbyterians have
      > faithfully held to since the Second Reformation, as it would be
      > sinful for one to come to the Table in ignorance of the Lord's body
      > and/or scandal. We do not hold to open communion as many
      > denominations do in America.
      > >
      > > Here is how it is stated officially:
      > >
      > > Church Membership
      > > Questions
      > the privileges of: baptism, the administration of God's Word, the
      > love, fellowship, oversight, and discipline of the church, family
      > visits, and the use of your gifts and talents.
      > >
      > > Admission to the Lord's Supper
      > > Questions
      > you to partake in the Lord's Supper with us. Male heads of
      > households are also permitted to vote in congregational meetings.
      > >
      > > Interview Questions Before Each Lord's Supper
      > > Questions
      > scandals have arisen involving the member, and that they are
      > remaining faithful in their Christian duties.
      > >
      > > see http://www.reformedpresbytery.org/member.html for the actual
      > questions.
      > >

      > Edgar,
      >
      > William Wilson's "Defence of the Reformation Principles of the
      > Church of Scotland" (quoted at
      > www.covenanter.org/Communion/termsofcommunionhome.htm):
      >
      > "I ask our Author, Whether or not a particular visible Church, who
      > have embraced one Confession of Faith, one Form of Church-
      > government, one Directory for Worship, may require it of **all her
      > Members, in order to full Communion in all sealing Ordinances,**
      > that they confess, acknowledge, and swear to abide in the
      Profession
> [...]
      > that they are his friends... 2. To all, to whom, in the judgment of
      > charity, we may apply the name of Christian, we ought to extend our
      > Christian communion... 3. **But that communion which is strictly
      > ecclesiastical, is to be extended only to such as agree in the same
      > terms of church communion.**"
      >
      > "And shall we suppose, that the Church of Christ, the most precious-
      -
      > the most excellent--the most orderly, and the best regulated
      > association upon earth, shall be without her specific articles of
      > agreement--her **conditions of membership, and terms of communion?
      > ** ... The divine Head of the church has strictly enjoined it upon
      > **every member of this spiritual association,** [Mr. Black proceeds
      > to quote Jude 3; 1 Cor. 1:10; Eph. 4:3-5; Rev. 11:1; and Phil.
      > 1:27.] It is evident, from the above passages, that **express and
      > explicit terms of communion are required in the fellowship of the
      > Christian Church.**"
      >

      > I might also mention a quote from a non-Covenanter, A.A. Hodge, in
      > his "Commenatry on the Confession of Faith
      > (www.rtrc.net/documents/wcf/hodge/wcfaah28.htm), wherein he makes
      > remarks upon Reformed Presbyterian practice:
      >
      > "Some Churches, as, for instance, our Covenanting Presbyterian
      > brethren, demand, as a condition of adult baptism -- or, what is
      the
      > same thing, admission to the Church -- in addition to the
      profession
      > of faith in the fundamental truths of the Gospel, adherence to
      > certain 'Testimonies' embodying non-fundamental, denominational
      > peculiarities. This we believe to be entirely unauthorized. The
      > Church is Christ's fold, designed for all his sheep. Baptism and
      the
      > Lord's Supper are the common rights of all the Lord's people. If
      any
      > man holds the fundamentals of the gospel and professes allegiance
      > our common Lord, and acts consistently therewith, we have no right
      > to exclude him from his Father's house. It is just as presumptuous
      > to make terms of communion which Christ has not made as it would be
      > to make terms of salvation which he does not require."
      >

      > It seems manifest to me that the above quotes (and many more could
      > be multiplied on this head) that the original understanding by
      > Reformed Presbyterians re: "Terms of Communion" made them terms,
      not
      > of "table fellowship," but of church membership (besides being the
      > most natural exposition of Amos 3:3; 1 Cor. 1:10; Phil. 1:27,
      etc.).
      > This being the case, it appears that the RPNA, which makes so much
      > of having identical "terms of communion" to the Reformed
      > Presbyterians of the past, in fact maintain different terms of
      > communion than any preceding body (since they have reinterpreted
      the
      > original meaning of "terms of communion").

    • Show all 33 messages in this topic