14300Re: Covenanter Groups

    Jan 11, 2006
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sean McDonald"
      <kaalvenist@y...> wrote:

      > It is interesting for me to note how many non-responses may be
      > furnished as responses to a few simple questions.

      What you are seeing is folks trying not to offend others with whom
      they one day hope to have fellowship. But be that as it may, there
      were answers given.

      > "1. How many different 'Covenanter' groups are there (i.e. groups
      > which hold to the binding obligation of the Solemn League and
      > Covenant)?"

      There are scattered families that for the time being are pretty much
      alone. There are families in PA that together associate with the
      TrueCovenanter group. There is the RPNA. I cannot verify whether or
      not the man responsible for Covenanter.org still believes the things
      promoted on that site.

      > Is that correct? or are there more than the
      > RPNA societies on the one hand, and the society (or societies)
      > associated with the "original Steelite" group? What is that group's
      > name (is it, as stated on the TrueCovenanter.com site, "The
      > Covenanted Reformed Presbyterian Church")?

      I'm not sure who your calling the original Steelites, so that
      questions hard to answer -- the RPCNA used to hold to the doctrines
      that Steele and Lusk sought to maintain when they formed the Reformed
      Presbytery. Dodson did much to get "Steelite" stuff out there for
      folks to read. Maybe you mean that his group were the original
      Steelites? I just don't know how to answer that. But those
      originally associated with Covenanter.org, called themselves the
      Covenanted Reformed Presbyterian Church. After many of us fled from
      Dodson, TrueCovenanter.com took the same name, being essentially the
      same people, believing the same Reformed Presbyterian doctrines, sans
      Dodson and his peculiar sins.

      > How do Jim Dodson, Derek Edwards, and Frank DiLella figure into all
      > of this? Are they associated with any of the groups now in
      > existence, or do any of them today form their own
      > independent "Covenanter" societies?

      Like I said, I don't even know if Dodson maintains the same doctrines
      anymore. You'll have to ask him.

      As for Derek Edwards and Frank DiLella -- several of us from our
      "group" (the TrueCovenanter.com group) have been in contact with the
      both of them. The communication has been positive and encouraging.
      Both Mr. Edwards and Mr. DiLella still maintain Covenanter
      distinctives. Which brings something to mind:

      HOW SWRB.COM CAN REMOVE FRED DILELLA'S WRITINGS, AND POST A STATEMENT
      THAT HE HAS ABANDONED THE COVENANTED REFORMATION, AND YET KEEP
      WRITINGS UP BY JIM DODSON, IS BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION.

      Fred DiLella is NO enemy of the Covenanted Reformation. Dodson,
      however...

      > I was rather surprised to see Ps. 36:1-4 quoted against Mr. Dodson.

      What if I quote 2 TIMOTHY 3:1-7 against him, would that also suprise you?

      > Would it not have been sufficient to say that you disagree with him,
      > or with certain actions of his (I do not know the situation), rather
      > than vilifying him on a public forum, without giving him opportunity
      > to defend himself?

      I speak not about a disagreement, or about a dispute over certain
      actions, but against gross and scandalous sins which deserve the
      punishment of death by the civil magistrate.

      Feel free to email him, or even call him:

      http://tinyurl.com/bqeyv

      Ask him about what I wrote about him here. If he responds with
      anything other than, "Yes, everything Jerry said is true. He's right.
      Yes, yes, I did that, that's me" or something along those lines, then
      you let me know -- I will drive over and have a talk with him. He
      will then contact you with the correct information after our talk.