14271Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Calvin's Preface to the Psalter (EP)

  • Nikolai
    Jan 4, 2006
      gmw wrote:

      >>From Brian Schwertley's work on Psalmody:
      >
      > "A careful examination of the Scripture passages which discuss the
      > songs used in worship and how worship songs were composed reveals that
      > God only authorizes and accepts divinely inspired songs for the praise
      > of Himself.

      All I can gather from Mr. Schwertley's quote is that the songs recorded
      in scripture are inspired. Nobody disputes that or at least no Bible
      believing Christian does. The contention is not about whether or not the
      songs in the Bible are inspired, the contention is about can we sing
      uninspired songs in worship. I simply think insisting that Biblical song
      writers were inspired prophets will not impress someone wishing to sing
      hymns in worship. After all, we do listen to uninspired scripture
      exposition and prayer every Lord's day. Analogically, there seems to be
      nothing wrong with singing uninspired songs. The only way, in my
      opinion, to actually defeat those wishing to sing uninspired songs is by
      invoking the Regulative Principle, that is, *they* must, not us, to
      produce a scriptural warrant for their practice. This is when the two
      passages from Ephesians and Colossians are brought up but they are of no
      help for them of course.

      Obviously, with those denying the Regulative Principle altogether
      different methods should be used but eventually, the goal is still to
      show that God should not be worshiped according to imaginations of men
      or suggestions of Satan no matter who we're speaking to, Reformed,
      Baptists, Charismatics or whoever.

      Nikolai
      EPC of Australia, Brisbane
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic