14056Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Steelites

    Nov 6 12:39 PM
      Larry Bump wrote:
      My first ancestor on this continent (Fortune, 1621) was Edouad Boumpasse,
      French Huguenot refugee from France, through Leyden then London.

      Maybe I could pull this off?

      Wait a minute, does this mean I should be bound to any French covenants as
      well as Scot? This could get confusing.

      What you are now witnessing is an elder of the Reformed Presbyterian
      Church of North America (called Covenanters) mocking the descending
      obligations of national covenants, one of the distinctive doctrines of
      their Church when it first came to America. This phenomena is something
      that puzzles me. They hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith, and
      yet testify against it, and they can assert the descending obligations
      of the National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant on a web
      page ( http://www.bright.net/~covvie/who.html -- "Two basic covenants
      we're still bound by are the National Covenant of 1638
      <http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualnls/NatCov.htm> and the Solemn
      League and Covenant
      <http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualnls/CRTSol.htm>."), while an elder
      from that very congregation mocks the same doctrine.

      Fortunately, elders mocking have no bearing on whether what they are
      mocking is truth or not. Matthew 26:57, 67, 68

      Those labelled Steelites own the original Westminster Standards, and the
      descending obligation of the Covenants, without testifying against them
      or mocking them, like the RPCNA used to do when they first came to this
      country, even after the "Steelites" left them (the original split had
      more to do with the issue of voluntary association with people of other
      religious professions, and the refusal of the RPCNA to even discuss this

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic