13965Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Friendly clarifications.

  • Matthew Winzer
    Sep 1, 2005
      Mr. McCarter,

      You are joining with the church when you hear the word read and preached.
      Classical Presbyterianism calls it implicit membership. Explicit membership
      used to be the Independent theory; but Presbyterians felt the need to adopt
      it when denominationalism emerged.

      You know, I can distinctly remember hearing Spurgeon read by the elders in
      the FPs; and it wasn't even his better sermons; one sermon taught the double
      reference theory of the atonement. Ironic isn't it? You could refuse to
      hear a Baptist preacher (who is probably a stricter Calvinist than Spurgeon
      was), and upon becoming a member of the FPCofS out of a conscience of
      hearing only the truth preached, you could be subjected to the preaching of
      a ... Baptist!

      Yours sincerely,
      Rev. Matthew Winzer