13955Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Friendly clarifications.

  • Matthew Winzer
    Aug 31, 2005
      Edgar,

      Your RPNA distinctions of being and well being are Independent, not
      Presbyterian (and as my posts proving that point are still unanswered, I
      will continue to maintain it). Hence there is no misreading or
      misrepresenting of your position. If you really believe that the Revolution
      church is a true church, then you should regard the short directory for
      religious societies as schismatic in calling upon members to not attend the
      Presbyterian ministry of the Revolution Church. To provide you with the
      Presbyterian position, as stated in an earlier post: Presbyterians do not
      believe in separation from a true church. That is called schism.

      Here is the problem. Every other body of Presbyterians in the world (at
      least that I know of) maintain communion with one another to some degree.
      The RPNA separates from this communion.

      Neither Calvin nor any other reformer said that the Church of Rome is a true
      church. They said that Rome had the church within her, i.e., the catholic
      church visible. But the phrase "true church" pertains to a particular
      church, one that is constituted; and the consistent testimony of the
      reformers was, that the Church of Rome is not a truly constituted church.

      Yours sincerely,
      Rev. Matthew Winzer