12843Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Text types

  • Theodore Letis
    May 4, 2005
      Now, let's get on to this doctrine of Providential Preservation. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have written two rather important essays addressing how both Theodore Beza, and John Owen, understood the doctrine of Providential Preservation, as worked out in practical terms with reference to the actual data of the manuscripts; and both of these essays are found in my book, The Majority Text: Essays and Reviews in the Continuing Debate:

      Click here for a synopsis.
      Click here for a review

      Furthermore, I go into even more detail on this in another essay which first appeared in the The Scottish Bulletin of Evangelcial Theology (July 1989), and is called:"The Protestant Dogmaticians and the Late Princeton School on the Status of the Sacred Apographa." This can now be found in my book titled: The Ecclesiastical Text: Text Criticism, Biblical Authority and the Popular Mind:

      The Ecclesiastical Text

      Click here for a synopsis.
      Click here for a review

      The Teaching of the WCF on the doctrine of Providential Preservation was destroyed by B.B. Warfield (in the early 20th century about the same time that the statement on the Antichrist was taken out of the WCF), who wanted to introduce Westcott and Hort into the Presbyterian Church in America and in order to do it he changed the teaching of the WCF from Providential Preservation, to Providential RESTORATION. THIS MEANT THE CHURCH HAD LOST THE TRUE TEXT, FOR NEARLY 1500 YEARS, BUT WESTCOTT AND HORT HAD RE-DISCOVERED IT IN CODEX VATICANUS AND CODEX SINAITICUS. He was able to take folks away from the Confession by the introduction of a different paradigm:

      "inerrant autographs"

      instead of

      "infallible copies [apographs]"

      Soon after he introduced these ideas at Princeton Seminary, Princeton fell to higher criticism! Rread a synopsis of this thesis here:

      http://www.kuyper.org/main/publish/journal/printer_67.shtml

      Jim Pellegrini <falcon5064@...> wrote:

      What about the doctrine of providential preservation? Has not God preserved His word for the church throughout all generations? In reading this debate, I have not heard someone mention this doctrine, which is a key piece of the puzzle in this debate.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic