11893Re: Sproul VS Covenant

    Jan 1, 2005
      Similar garbage was recently posted in Songs of Zion. It appears that
      the minions are out beating the bushes.

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Hart
      <benhartmail@y...> wrote:
      > OK, well what does Hebrews mean when it says the following?
      >
      > 2:1-4: Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things
      we have heard, lest we drift away. 2 For if the word spoken through
      angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience
      received a just reward, 3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a
      salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was
      confirmed to us by those who heard Him, 4 God also bearing witness
      both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the
      Holy Spirit, according to His own will?

      > 6:4-6: 4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened,
      and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the
      Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of
      the age to come, 6 *if they fall away, to renew them again to
      repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God,
      and put Him to an open shame.

      > 10:26-31: 26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the
      knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
      27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery
      indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has
      rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or
      three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will
      he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot,
      counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common
      thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said,
      "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,"* *says the Lord. And again, "The
      Lord will judge His people."* 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into
      the hands of the living God.
      > Isn't it consistent Reformed orthodoxy that states that the covenant
      is made externally with any who take the name of Christ and are
      baptised, yet there is the internal aspect of the Covenant of Grace
      which is made with the elect, who shall surely not fall away? Perhaps
      I didn't read Sproul carefully, but what he was saying seemed
      consistent with this.

      > A caveat with respect to John Robbins - am I the only one who sees
      him as just loving to publicly bash people and sound like he's the
      church-appointed protector of orthodoxy? Who would devote an article
      to the question of whether CS Lewis was in hell, and end insinuating
      he was? I could go on forever about him and Clark, but I must
      restrain myself. Am I the only one whose skin crawls whenever I read
      their writing?

      > -Ben

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic