11892RE: Sproul VS Covenant

  • Benjamin Hart
    Jan 1, 2005
      OK, well what does Hebrews mean when it says the following?
      2:1-4:  Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away. 2 For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, 3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him, 4 God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will?
      6:4-6:  4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 *if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
      10:26-31:  26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,"* *says the Lord. And again, "The Lord will judge His people."* 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
      Isn't it consistent Reformed orthodoxy that states that the covenant is made externally with any who take the name of Christ and are baptised, yet there is the internal aspect of the Covenant of Grace which is made with the elect, who shall surely not fall away?  Perhaps I didn't read Sproul carefully, but what he was saying seemed consistent with this.
      A caveat with respect to John Robbins - am I the only one who sees him as just loving to publicly bash people and sound like he's the church-appointed protector of orthodoxy?  Who would devote an article to the question of whether CS Lewis was in hell, and end insinuating he was?  I could go on forever about him and Clark, but I must restrain myself.  Am I the only one whose skin crawls whenever I read their writing?

      Do You Yahoo!?