11635Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Reformers' Study Bible?

  • Lettermen2@aol.com
    Oct 31, 2004
      In a message dated 10/25/2004 5:28:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, fraasrd@... writes:

      I think it might be helpful to the flock if someone
      would publish a study Bible consisting of comments taken straight
      from the Reformers from Genesis through Revelation.  Some appropriate
      quotes could be taken from Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Knox, Beza,
      Ursinus, Bucer, Tyndale, Cranmer, Hooker, and other Reformers of the
      sixteenth century on each verse and with some special topics.  It
      could be called the "Protestant Reformers' Study Bible".  Whatever
      mighty hero would take up this endeavor could use the KJV for free
      with no copyright issues.  I'd think of approaching Protestant
      Reformation Publications.  Does anyone like the idea?
      Isn't there something better that could be done?

      We have the works of Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Knox, Beza, and so on.

      We have the Bible's mentioned of late in this forum.

      We also have:

      WESTMINSTER DIVINES and OTHER PURITANS (Gouge, Gataker, et al.), <B>The Westminster Annotations and Commentary on the Whole Bible</B>, 6 volumes, (Cerlox Bound Photocopy Series. Edmonton, AB, Canada: <A HREF="http://www.swrb.com/"><B>Still Waters Revival Books</B></A>, 1998, 1657). Additional Title: Annotations Upon all the Books of the Old and New Testament: This Third, above the First and Second, Edition so enlarged, As they make an entire Commentary on the Sacred Scriptures: The like never before published in English. Wherein the Text is Explained, Doubts Resolved, Scripture Parallel'd, and Various Readings observed; By the Labour of certain Learned Divines thereunto appointed, and therein employed, As is expressed in the Preface, 1657, <A HREF="http://wwwlib.umi.com/eebo/"> EEBO</A>.

      We have the Puritan Bookshelf CDs. We have the Reformation Bookshelf CDs. "Now, for the first time ever, ordinary Christians can have direct and near effortless access to the very cream of Puritan and Reformed, as well as Covenanter, literature [over 3,000 titles, over 500,000 pages].
      "These books are often in fascinating first editions and many are electronically linked and indexed for the first time. The ordinary Christian may here dig into a simply staggering wealth of literature, from devotional and sermonic material to technical and scholarly works.

      The Protestant Reformation has been well done, generally speaking.

      This is a Covenanter forum. Most of us are convinced that the Covenanted Reformation of Scotland was the highest attainment of Christianity in history. We have long since fallen from that attainment. We would like to see a Third Reformation.

      Wouldn't it be more efficient to compile a supplement volume to be used with the Geneva Study Bible (1599), The Westminster Annotations and Commentary on the Whole Bible (1657), and the Reformation Study Bible (1996) further commenting on the doctrinal distinctives of the Covenanted Reformation and a Third Reformation: THE COVENANTED REFORMATION ANNOTATION?  Or something to that affect?

      sk