11022Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Passive obedience v. Political Dissidence

    Sep 4, 2004
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Martin"
      <paleopuritan@h...> wrote:

      > As for Cameron versus Calvin.

      The Covenanters certainly did not believe they were in opposition to
      any of the orthodox divines in their defense of liberty against their
      particular tyrant. Yet they, as we should today, only wish that
      people get the facts straight before attacking their position:

      "Let none therefore object against the legality of what we have done,
      or are doing: for we offer as (how inconsiderable we are said to be)
      to prove ourselves to have done nothing against our ancient laws
      civil or ecclesiastic, against any lawyers or divines whatsoever, our
      ancient laws being judges; and we having safety to pass and repass
      (if the public faith after so many breaches can be trusted) for that
      effect. So then let no foreign kingdoms or churches through
      misinformation or false copies (as they are many) of what we act or
      do, because we have no access to the press as they; we say let them
      not take up a wrong opinion of us or our proceedings: for we are only
      endeavouring to extricate ourselves from under a tyrannous yoke, and
      to reduce our church and state to what they were in the years 1648
      and 1649." -- Declaration at Lanark.

      I offer this not as any proof towards either side of the current
      discussion, only as a point of interest.