11019Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Passive obedience v. Political Dissidence

  • Peter
    Sep 4, 2004
      Thanks for your reply Martin. I was actually quoting Rutherford
      supporting the view that a "power" *must* be a minister for good and
      a tyrant is not "power" but a "licentious deviation of a power".
      (rom 13:4) Q.IX Yes Rutherford did not take the simplistic view,
      neither did he, nor I claim he did, in this passage. My next
      paragraph was an attempt to respond to his argument.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Martin"
      <paleopuritan@h...> wrote:
      > Hi Parnell,
      >
      > I agree that we must be careful in interpretting Rutherford.
      Whether the "Cameronian" political philosophy differs from that
      espoused by Rutherford wasn't within the scope of my previous post.
      My post with the Rutherford quotes simply was to show that
      Rutherford didn't take the simplistic view of Romans 13 which was
      offered. Whether or not Rutherford and and the later Presbyterians
      like Cameron agreed is something that can be investigated in its own
      right.

      > As for Cameron versus Calvin. I honestly haven't studied Calvin's
      political philosophy sufficiently to answer that. From what I've
      seen thus far, Calvin is quoted by various opposing philosophical
      camps (no surprise there). I haven't spent the time to duly
      ascertain exactly what Calvin's political philosophy was. If you
      have some available information on that, I'd be happy to review it.

      > Anyways, I'm leaving right away here for my vacation; during which
      I will not be able to check this forum until September 18th.

      > Martin
      Political Dissidence

      > There were many covenanters who did not have the political
      philosophy of Richard Cameron (that Cameron had at the end of his
      life). Most Covenanters joined the established Church of Scotland
      after the end of King James II's reign.

      > We must be very careful in our interpretation of Rutherford
      too. Martin, I think it can be shown that the "Cameronian"
      political philosophy differs from that espoused by Rutherford.

      > I suggest though that we begin with Calvin's writings on the
      subject, who produced the first great systematic theology of the
      reformed faith- then work our way from there. Martin, do you really
      believe the political philosophy of Richard Cameron (that Cameron
      had at the end of his life) is the same as the political philosophy
      that Calvin had throughout his life as a Protestant?

      > - Parnell McCarter
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      of Service.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic